• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen laying on her back, with something white attached to her gaster?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Croux - Posted June 24 2020 - 8:37 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello, I don't have any pictures of this, yet, but has anyone ever come across their queen laying on her back, not moving, or moving very slowly? Her appendages are not curled in, but splayed out into the air.

It looks like there is something very small and white attached to the side of her gaster, it's sort of oblong in shape and I'm not sure if somehow she got a parasite or mite?

The workers have surrounded her and have tried to move her a bit, to flip her over, but it doesn't seem to be working.

So I don't know if she is distressed or dying. I've tried not to disturb her, since she JUST laid some eggs, before this event.

I tried doing some research online, and cannot find anything to suggest what would cause her to just lay on her back.

This is the sole queen of a 2-year old colony of about 50 Prenolepis Imparis in Southern Ontario, Canada.

I'm suspecting that it's probably the end of the line, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks.

Edited by Croux, June 24 2020 - 8:38 AM.

#2 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted June 24 2020 - 9:22 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Depending on the size, that could easily be an egg, where she somehow fell on her back and is having trouble getting up. I would simply turn the test tube slowly (if housed in that) and she'll get up. If not, it may be the end of the line for her for some unknown reason, queens can pass away very suddenly sometimes. Hope this helps!

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#3 Offline Croux - Posted June 24 2020 - 9:32 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
The white object was about a mm thick and went half the length of her gaster. So, I dunno.

She did end up moving to a tube recently, as the nest got a bit dry. I always keep a tube for humidity emergencies.

I've turned her over, slowly, while all the workers held onto her. Kept her from falling directly.

While she's not flailing around or moving actively, I've seen an occasional twitch. We'll see if she pulls through.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Edited by Croux, June 24 2020 - 9:36 AM.

• Froggy likes this

#4 Offline Croux - Posted June 25 2020 - 5:39 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Unfortunately, she has passed. Time to start anew, next year.

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 25 2020 - 5:41 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Better luck next time.

Edited by Antkid12, June 25 2020 - 5:42 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Fungus? Mite?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline Croux - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:15 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
It looks parasitic, whatever it was, came from under the "folds" of the gaster, so to speak. So, she may have gotten something from the food or just had it for a while, I imagine.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
My guess would be fungus.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline Croux - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:36 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Any advice on how to avoid that, in future? I was pretty diligent in replacing the cotton substrate when it began to show signs of molding. However, I did house them with soil that was baked at 350F. Perhaps something grew form the soil? Was it perhaps too much moisture within the test tube or nest?

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Well, I think the best you can do is wash your hands before working around them.
  • Croux likes this

#11 Offline Croux - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:41 AM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Alright, thanks for all the advice. :)

#12 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted June 26 2020 - 10:23 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Would love to see a photo for future reference.

Sorry about the queen :(

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#13 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 26 2020 - 2:40 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Sounds more like a parasitic wasp or fly.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

#14 Offline Croux - Posted July 3 2020 - 12:25 PM

Croux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
You're right, gcsnelling, I looked around and finally found out what it was.

Parasitic dipteran larva. Not sure how it got there, but that's what I pulled from the corpse.

#15 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 3 2020 - 1:18 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The egg was probably laid on /in her well before you collected her, would have been interesting to let it mature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users