• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Central NJ, US - June 29 2020

Best Answer Aaron567 , June 30 2020 - 7:17 AM

Looks like Lasius interjectus to me.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dopu - Posted June 30 2020 - 7:16 AM

dopu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ, USA

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Central NJ, US

2. Date of collection: June 29 2020
3. Habitat of collection: Mulch trail in wooded area. Came across what I'm guessing was their nuptial flight!
4. Length (from head to gaster): 8 mm. Male alates were much smaller, perhaps 1/4th of the size of the females?
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Red all over (including gaster). The male alates were a much darker color, like dark brown or black.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Lighter bands on gaster
7. Distinguishing behavior: N/A
8. Nest description: I found large clusters of alates at the entrances of fairly sizable holes (a bit smaller than a tennis ball at the entrance) in the mulch, which I think were their nests?

9. Nuptial flight time and date: 8:00PM, June 29 2020, about an hour before sunset.

I'm totally new to this, so any help would be appreciated. I was walking on a mulch trail in a wooded area in Central NJ and came across what I think was a nuptial flight taking place. I'd estimate there were as many as 50 queens! I gave them some privacy and came back about a half hour later, and managed to capture about 8 queens that were wandering around in the periphery after the nuptial flight. I'm guessing these are either solenopsis molesta or pheidole bicarinata?

crop.jpg

Closer up side-ish view

IMG_0365.jpeg

#2 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 30 2020 - 7:17 AM   Best Answer

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 30 2020 - 7:26 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I agree.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline dopu - Posted June 30 2020 - 7:51 AM

dopu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ, USA

Thanks for the quick replies! That's tough, it sounds like I'd have to find a host colony for a given queen to thrive. Given that I have multiple queens, I'm wondering whether I'd be able to pair them up in a host / parasite set up. Time to read up on this species...

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 30 2020 - 7:59 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I second this.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 30 2020 - 9:05 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Good ol’ parasitic Lasius...
  • Antkid12 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users