• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Plaster formicarium in amac containers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CreeperUniverse - Posted June 29 2020 - 8:14 AM

CreeperUniverse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNYC

I've been looking for a cheap alternative to THA nests, since I don't want to be spending a lot of money, and I think making formicarium + outworld nests in amac containers would be good. However, I see one issue. Plaster of paris expands, which could break the containers, considering that they seem to be glued together. I've been told that Ultracal 30 expands way less, and wouldn't damage the containers because of that. What should I use? The nests would be made by filling up the containers with about 2 inches of the material, then letting them dry, taking them out, carving, and putting them back in. I need to make nests for 2 Camponotus colonies, and 1 Pheidole bicarinata colony.

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 29 2020 - 8:38 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

I use Hydrostone plaster, but I assume Ultracal would work too. 

• CreeperUniverse likes this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline CreeperUniverse - Posted June 29 2020 - 9:10 AM

CreeperUniverse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNYC

Would there be the risk of either of those breaking the containers, or do they not expand enough to do that?

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 29 2020 - 9:16 AM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Would there be the risk of either of those breaking the containers, or do they not expand enough to do that?

I don't think there would be a risk.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 29 2020 - 9:40 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
May be a good idea to get multiple containers to prevent the cracking and scratching the plastic when you remove it.
  • FSTP likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted June 29 2020 - 10:08 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

THA formicariums really are not at all expensive when you consider you're getting a hand made boutique item. You're likely to spend just as much if not more making your own version. Its not as though you will be able to make a perfect version first time. You'll likely need to make several, refining your technique and learning along the way. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you're wanting to do this because you think it will be cheaper than just buying a THA  formicarium you may find this is not the case.

If you do end up making some then yes you're likely to get some small cracking or crazing in the amac container. This is why when making them you use a sacrificial mold container and then remove it. After it cures it will shrink back down and you can then place it in a brand new amac container of the same size and shape, without worry of it cracking or getting scratched. This is how I have made mine. For further detail you can reference my formicarium build journal.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#7 Offline cewtsoul - Posted July 5 2020 - 7:55 AM

cewtsoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Make your own if you can. I Iost 2 good colonies with THA nest. The small ants found a way into the water well. the hole on the side was not properly sealed....i had them special made for small ants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users