• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fluon Settled in Bottle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TKD102 - Posted June 27 2020 - 4:13 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Hey guys, I found some fluon in the back of my fridge which has a white paste settled on the bottom. Is it possible to still use this fluon? Do I need to do anything to fix the issue? Thanks

Edit: It's been sitting there for like a year and a half or two years I'm not gonna lie

Edited by TKD102, June 27 2020 - 4:18 PM.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#2 Offline Froggy - Posted June 27 2020 - 5:08 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I heard that you have to shake the fluon bottle on a almost daily basis to keep it fresh

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 27 2020 - 5:29 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

You don't want to shake fluon, more so just turn it over a few times.

You could try to stick something into the container and break up the glob at the bottom.  Not sure how well that will work since fluon is a bunch of very tiny particles suspended in the fluid, when "fresh."

• Froggy likes this

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted June 27 2020 - 5:46 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The issue here is that the performance of the coating is dependent on the average PTFE particle size distribution throughout the fluid.

When the product settles out of suspension, the particles stick and clump together into larger agglomerations. While shaking or turning the fluid may redistribute the particles back into a suspension, doing so will not generate sufficient shear force to break apart any of these clumps into their smaller constituent particles; for this, you need special mixing equipment. Therefore, repeated or excessive settling will, in general use, result in a coating that is increasingly ineffective.

Replace the product.
  • gcsnelling, TKD102, TennesseeAnts and 2 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline TKD102 - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:00 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

The issue here is that the performance of the coating is dependent on the average PTFE particle size distribution throughout the fluid.

When the product settles out of suspension, the particles stick and clump together into larger agglomerations. While shaking or turning the fluid may redistribute the particles back into a suspension, doing so will not generate sufficient shear force to break apart any of these clumps into their smaller constituent particles; for this, you need special mixing equipment. Therefore, repeated or excessive settling will, in general use, result in a coating that is increasingly ineffective.

Replace the product.

Thanks that sounds good

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#6 Offline TKD102 - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:31 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Oh wait, I shook everything instead of just turning it over and tested it out with some ants outside and it still works just fine for tetramorium. I'll put on another final layer, but I think I'll purchase some more fluon at a later date.

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:45 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m going to rotate my Fluon right about now.
  • TKD102 and TennesseeAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Canadant - Posted June 30 2020 - 3:20 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
I hate to say this, but you've posted several times over the last few days and I can't unsee your avatar.

That man is a totalitarian bordering on despot. He has forced work camps, starves his people and shoots civilians on firing lines. He attempts to start wars and is right up there with Hitler. I find it offensive.

Sorry to derail the thread but I come here to discuss ants, not be eyeballed by that fat [censored]#$%@.
  • NickAnter and TechAnt like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#9 Offline Zeiss - Posted July 1 2020 - 2:46 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I hate to say this, but you've posted several times over the last few days and I can't unsee your avatar.

That man is a totalitarian bordering on despot. He has forced work camps, starves his people and shoots civilians on firing lines. He attempts to start wars and is right up there with Hitler. I find it offensive.

Sorry to derail the thread but I come here to discuss ants, not be eyeballed by that fat [censored]#$%@.

Could have just pm'd them about it.  We don't need more drama on the forum.

• rcbuggy88, Antkid12 and Nogbert like this

#10 Offline TKD102 - Posted July 12 2020 - 2:59 PM

TKD102

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

I'm really sorry. I've removed my avatar now. I don't actually like kim jong un whatsoever; I just thought his face is funny looking for such a terrible person.

• Antkid12 likes this

Currently Keeping:

Tetramorium Immigrans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users