• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pass the popcorn

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 26 2020 - 4:20 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

The implosion of America, a s@#$ show so horrifying you should not watch it but you just can't put the popcorn down.

• TennesseeAnts and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#2 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 26 2020 - 5:01 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Once again....  you're a salty old man :whistle:

btw, I kind of agree with you... but still... you're a grown man complaining to a bunch of bug enthusiasts and kids about the crap your country is becoming. Don't you have a Twitter? 

Edited by FeedTheAnts, June 26 2020 - 5:02 PM.

• Nathant2131, VoidElecent, AntsMaryland and 6 others like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 26 2020 - 6:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I get it about all the chaos in every aspect of life, but what’s the point of this thread again?
  • FSTP, Antennal_Scrobe, Antkid12 and 2 others like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 27 2020 - 4:01 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

The bug enthusiasts and the kids need to be reminded sometimes  that the meltdown occurring is likely to impact us negatively in many ways.

• Antennal_Scrobe and cap_backfire like this

#5 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 27 2020 - 4:03 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

And I would be curious how many folks here mask up when going out in public.

• Reacker and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted June 27 2020 - 5:52 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

• gcsnelling and Antennal_Scrobe like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted June 27 2020 - 5:57 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You forgot AZ. I haven't seen any place in the world going up as fast as AZ is right now.

gallery_2_1829_13227.jpg

• gcsnelling, Antennal_Scrobe and Froggy like this

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yep, Arizona is closing in on the top 3.

Not the most recent data but there's quite a few more states with really steep curves.

California, Florida, Texas and Arizona are the ones headed for imminent disaster, probably in 3-6 weeks they will be in a worse place than NY was during its peak.

Edited by Serafine, June 27 2020 - 6:47 AM.

• gcsnelling and Antennal_Scrobe like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 27 2020 - 6:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Brazil
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted June 27 2020 - 7:11 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

And to preemptively shut down those coming up with "but Swedeeeen..." - Sweden screwed up. They have 5k dead (at least that's the official number) and around 1.5k new cases per day. Their carehomes are getting ravaged by the virus.

Sweden is actually one of the few European countries (aside from the UK which is just beyond recovery and will get a second wave if they don't have one going already) that still has rising numbers.

Edited by Serafine, June 27 2020 - 7:12 AM.

• gcsnelling likes this

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 27 2020 - 7:55 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Worst thing is that the virus is being under reported by the media as they have a better from of sensationalism in the form of the protests and occasionally riots.

#12 Offline Froggy - Posted June 27 2020 - 8:49 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Well Arizona didn't really care form the beginning but now that they've "reopened" literally nobody is wearing masks in public

#13 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 27 2020 - 9:13 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

And people wonder why I bring this topic up from time to time. This is scary stuff and if people don't get their heads out of their backsides I suspect they are in for a very rude awakening in their spoiled privileged lives.

#14 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 27 2020 - 9:16 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Worst thing is that the virus is being under reported by the media as they have a better from of sensationalism in the form of the protests and occasionally riots.

It is not just the media under reporting, it is states and federal as well in an attempt to make everything look more normal than it is. Just remember we have been officially told that if the number of tests go down, well gee so do the infection numbers.

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 27 2020 - 1:14 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Honestly. I do not get why no one seems to understand that when hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of people all group up to shout at people, and end up being right next to each other, for sure there will be an increase in cases. But, of course, I'm sorry, they are essential to our society.

In states like California, this is especially true. In places like Idaho however, not so much, they are way too lax on everything. Arizona has seen large protests, along with Texas and Florida, though.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and ArmyAntz like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#16 Offline Vendayn - Posted June 28 2020 - 10:56 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

We got a president who kills his own military through russia who does it through the taliban, and does nothing about it.

#17 Offline Serafine - Posted June 29 2020 - 4:43 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

We got a president who kills his own military through russia who does it through the taliban, and does nothing about it.

He did something about it. He praised Putin as one of the greatest guys in human history, gave Syria to the Russians for free, permanently weakened american influence in the middle east by dropping one of it's most long-term and most reliable allies over night (which has now turned to the Russians and their allies) and the handed the pacific trade sphere to China (with which he also started a pointless trade war that devastated US farmers) because free trade bad (he tried the same with Europe but the EU scored a quick and decisive victory after threatening to increase taxes on products from states of critical republican senators, something Trump had absolutely no answer to (but to his relief Bush - who tried the same thing a few years earlier - didn't have one either)).

In fact US cultural and economic influence has weakened to a point where EU food and product safety regulations are described as "the global standard" even by US companies (and that's saying something because producing food that holds up to EU standards requires much more effort and investment than the far lower US standards would demand).

He also pissed off his western allies and embarrassed his office and country to a level where the US presidency lost it's automatic monopoly on the title "leader of the free world" - that title is with german chancellor Angela Merkel now (and will likely pass down to her successor). What an achievement.

Oh and let's not forget that he's trying to destroy the ACA and kick 20 million americans off their health insurance which is surely a great thing to do in the middle of a global pandemic with Florida hitting almost 10.000 new infections per day.
Some of the lesser affected US states are already looking into legal measures to ban people from US states with high infection rates. Trump has screwed up so hard he may effectively cause borders within the United States.

Well, at least banks can now once again do risky speculative bets without this annoying obligation to have enough money to save themselves from sinking if their gambling adventures go horribly wrong - you know, the thing that wiped out Leman Brothers and plunged the entire world into a massive recession just 10 years ago. Yes, they just shoved that through the senate - while everyone is distracted trying to survive the current economic crisis they planted the seed for the next big collapse. Marvelous.

You know, I was way too young to really follow the fall of the Soviet Union. Didn't think I'd get the chance to see another global superpower go belly up in my lifetime but here we are...

Edited by Serafine, June 29 2020 - 6:59 AM.

• gcsnelling, FeedTheAnts, Froggy and 1 other like this

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 29 2020 - 6:55 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This needs to be in the Politics, Religion and Culture subforum.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Froggy like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 29 2020 - 7:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Agreed. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#20 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 29 2020 - 9:24 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I concur.

• AntsDakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users