• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

GAN project in the pandemic.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 25 2020 - 6:38 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Hi all, anyone know a good and safe method to sell ants (extremely preferably in person saw too many ants DOA because of bad conditions or mail carrier incompetence) right now? Thanks. 

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Meet in a public place outdoors and do a non-contact delivery. I did this a few weeks ago. I put the box on a table and the other person picked it up, no sweat. Electronic payment would eliminate contact altogether.
  • AntsMaryland and Temperateants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 25 2020 - 7:42 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Hi all, anyone know a good and safe method to sell ants (extremely preferably in person saw too many ants DOA because of bad conditions or mail carrier incompetence) right now? Thanks. 

I usually ship my ants, just because its way cheaper (most of my customers live 100+ miles away, usually in Chattanooga, TN for some reason...), but I wouldn't change my in-person sales, as long as the customer in question is fine with it. 

• ANTdrew, Temperateants and ChattanoogaAnts like this

#4 Offline BADANT - Posted June 25 2020 - 11:05 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
I have shipped several times safely, and had a couple of in person hand offs that also went well.
Honestly, I prefer to meet. It gives me a chance to expand on their questions. Like someone else said though, most of my sales are not to people that live very close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 25 2020 - 11:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I thought the GAN project doesn’t allow for shipping, though.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline BADANT - Posted June 25 2020 - 11:24 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
I’ll have to recheck, but those account for almost all of my hand offs. That would make sense, since my GAN customers have chosen me because of my proximity to them. I took the question to be not just the GAN. Now I understand the question better.

Edited by BADANT, June 25 2020 - 11:28 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#7 Offline Mdrogun - Posted June 25 2020 - 11:39 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

GAN technically doesn't allow shipping. However, if you're shipping within your state, you're not breaking any laws. Personally, if someone wants me to ship to them because we're in a pandemic but GAN is saying I can't, GAN can go screw themselves. Shipping in-state is quite great to be honest. USPS usually delivers the ants in 2 days at worst, and 1 day at best. There hasn't been a single person I've sold to through GAN that even knew shipping ants was against the rules of GAN. Given how GAN seems to put in the absolute minimum amount of effort in moderating their platform, I doubt you'd ever have any problems if you do decide to ship to your customers.

• AnthonyP163 and TennesseeAnts like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#8 Offline BADANT - Posted June 25 2020 - 11:49 AM

BADANT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationBurleson, TX
What I like about USPS, their fix rate priority. I sent one this morning, and it will arrive tomorrow. In addition, you get used to knowing how much can fit in the boxes. Today I shipped 4 colonies in one box, and the ability to not charge per item is what allowed the customer to order the 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AntsMaryland likes this

#9 Offline ChattanoogaAnts - Posted July 21 2020 - 12:10 PM

ChattanoogaAnts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTennessee

I usually ship my ants, just because its way cheaper (most of my customers live 100+ miles away, usually in Chattanooga, TN for some reason...), but I wouldn't change my in-person sales, as long as the customer in question is fine with it.

Chattanooga here needing queens. Still got any?

#10 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 21 2020 - 1:04 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Chattanooga here needing queens. Still got any?

Yes, I do! I have dozens of queens and colonies for sale currently. PM me for details, and I'll set you up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users