• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Yet another species! Central Florida 06-26-2020

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted June 26 2020 - 7:14 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Central Florida
2. Date of collection: 06-26-2020

I suspect she is a Camponotus floridanus? Can someone confirm or correct me here? I know I've seen a LOT of males of two types of Camponotus a while ago and have been seeing a few on and off for weeks but haven't seen a queen until now. She's the largest of all the queen species I've seen up to this point, which sadly I forgot to measure her before leaving work.

CapFlaMaybe01.jpg

Also I think I might have stumbled upon a termite queen? Or rather she was waiting for me on my car's drivers side window with wings stuck on the condensation when I was headed for work. So glad I had the foresight not to just leave her with a cotton ball plug because she easily weaseled her way through the cotton while I was at work. Wasn't planning on keeping termites but... she was just so conveniently there waiting for me... Anyone can confirm if she is and what species?

She's so hideous but would love to see her all bloated and rolly poly lol if all queens get like that?

TermiteMaybe01.jpg

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 26 2020 - 7:18 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I believe both are correct. However, the termite queen can not survive without a king.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline BitT - Posted June 26 2020 - 7:24 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I believe both are correct. However, the termite queen can not survive without a king.

Oh, yah. I completely forgot about the King thing with termites. Sadly I only saw her there and she already dropped her wings while in the tube. Is there any way in finding a male? When I found her I did take a quick look around to see if I saw any others but didn't see a single other like her.

#4 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 26 2020 - 8:20 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Camponotus floridanus queen and an Incisitermes snyderi termite dealate. Male and female termite reproductives look pretty much the same, and as AntsDakota said, you won't be able to start a colony unless you acquire a male/female pair. You'll know when termites are paired up when one termite is closely following the other from behind.

• Mdrogun, Somethinghmm and Robert like this

#5 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 27 2020 - 7:58 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh, yah. I completely forgot about the King thing with termites. Sadly I only saw her there and she already dropped her wings while in the tube. Is there any way in finding a male? When I found her I did take a quick look around to see if I saw any others but didn't see a single other like her.

Well the thing is you could also need a female. Termite reproductives are almost impossible to distinguish unless you closely analyze some of their features (I believe it was the arrangement of the exoskeleton plates on either the underside of the tip of the abdomen, the place where the wings were originally attached, or maybe both.) So unless they pair up and its almost certain you have both genders, as of now you could need an individual of either gender.

#6 Offline BitT - Posted June 27 2020 - 1:26 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Well the thing is you could also need a female. Termite reproductives are almost impossible to distinguish unless you closely analyze some of their features (I believe it was the arrangement of the exoskeleton plates on either the underside of the tip of the abdomen, the place where the wings were originally attached, or maybe both.) So unless they pair up and its almost certain you have both genders, as of now you could need an individual of either gender.

Thank you, everyone. It seems finding a termite pair is going to be a lot more complicated than just collecting queen ants. XD I'll keep an eye out for more but since I didn't really plan on keeping termites (at least not yet) and I know so little about them right now I'll probably end up just feeding it to my ants. Maybe another year or so after I have established my current ant colonies and get experience in that I may consider termite keeping in the future.

For now I'll just incubate my many ant queens and be excited about my new Camponotus floridanus. Thanks again for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users