• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Catching Fire Ant colony (Solenopsis invicta)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 22 2015 - 4:19 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Can't you just shovel them into a bucket half full of water? When they float to the top you shovel them into another bucket with escape proof on side walls. Bump bucket they come up the sides and then you eliminate them with a propane torch. Do this until they are a manageable size. Then get the queens and as many workers as you want and place in formicarium. Sorry about the blow torch part but seriously they are freaking fire ants.

#2 Offline AntsTexas - Posted April 22 2015 - 4:28 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

good question, i wanna try that and c if it works, i got plenty of 'em by my house....

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#3 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 22 2015 - 4:29 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I know the bucket with water works done that before they just creat a giant balls of ants queens in the middle.
  • AntsTexas likes this

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted April 22 2015 - 5:37 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Try it and take a video! They're invasive anyway so why not.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 22 2015 - 5:45 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Lol I'm not the first to do this.

https://www.google.c...vkYoNV7NIKLwHcQ

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted April 22 2015 - 6:41 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Note the top 8" or so are lined with baby powder so they can't climb out.  :D

I use tub with calcium powder when working with my other colonies, or flightless fruit flies, in case of escapees.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline dean_k - Posted April 22 2015 - 7:46 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

Solenopsis invicta is an ant species I do not want to keep...

I favor slow growing species... for my own sake.

I mean look at all the mess.

#8 Offline AntsAnonymous - Posted April 23 2015 - 1:29 AM

AntsAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSpring, Texas (Houston Area)

I actually just did this with a colony over the last 2 days.  You can't just flood them outright. It needs to be a gradual process. I used some clear tubing connected to a container with water in it. above the bucket full of ants and dirt. Then I plugged the end of the tubing with cotton to reduce it to a drip a second. As the water level slowly rises, they start gathering higher in the soil, until they boil out and form their famous ball of ants. At that point I gave them a platform to move onto, and once a majority of the ants(and brood) were on the platform I placed it in my out world. Eventually they will settle down and go about normal life in captivity.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted April 23 2015 - 6:11 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

If anyone decides to try this, please take pictures and notes and post here once you have them safely contained.  It would be interested to see a thread with pictures where one of our own members did this.

Solenopsis invicta is an ant species I do not want to keep...

I favor slow growing species... for my own sake.

I mean look at all the mess.

I wouldn't want a species that is known for its sting and for its ability to escape.  :D

I wouldn't mind a species that grows faster than 100-300 workers a year, but yeah, I am not sure I want one that grows as fast as that.  You would spend all your time tending, containing, feeding, and cleaning that one colony.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#10 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 7:48 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'll do it

#11 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:45 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Are the big ones queens?

170D0CBB-9ED2-415C-8AB0-F306BD09EF7C.jpg

#12 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:48 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
23877E20-32E1-486A-824C-F33848C02889.jpg

#13 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:53 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
C182A271-9144-4C1A-81D8-2E25E8EE857C.jpg
F4FDB94D-57F0-4B20-A4BA-E7E3F51E548A.jpg

#14 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:58 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
CBB9AC4D-DDFF-4127-AAC5-244590BCA59F.jpg

#15 Offline Crystals - Posted April 23 2015 - 8:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I am pretty sure those are just majors.

How slowly did you add that water?  It sounded like you were supposed to take hours to slowly drip it.

My Colonies

#16 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 9:01 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I'm trying it the fast way like before. If those are majors the queens will be like 20 times the size of normal workers. I can see around 10-20 of the ones I'm calling queens right now. There are more I'm sure but some die and others are still working there way to the top.
Perhaps I have not found a queen yet...I found a picture of a queen fire ant. Gaster is slightly bigger and rounder than the ones I have. But alas don't give up just yet. There are thousands of fire ants making a raft in that bucket only time will tell if one is a queen.

Edited by Pulliamj, April 23 2015 - 9:05 AM.

#17 Offline Pulliamj - Posted April 23 2015 - 9:16 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Remember if I don't succeed they are fire ants. I will be glad to kill them all. And try again with s different method. There are plenty to try 1 every day for the rest of my life. I like the blow torch idea!

#18 Offline Crystals - Posted April 23 2015 - 9:29 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I think I saw one way of doing it where someone took a bucket, cut the bottom off, powdered the top half inside.  Gently hammered the pail into the ground around a fire ant nest and slowly flooded it.

My Colonies

#19 Offline AntsTexas - Posted April 23 2015 - 11:10 AM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

I wouldn't mind a species that grows faster than 100-300 workers a year, but yeah, I am not sure I want one that grows as fast as that.  You would spend all your time tending, containing, feeding, and cleaning that one colony.

hehehe.....  no time for work, no time for girlfriend/boyfriend, no time for family/friends! the queen would have u under her control!!!

Edited by Ant-Man, April 23 2015 - 11:11 AM.

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#20 Offline cpman - Posted April 23 2015 - 5:16 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
The majority of Texan fire ants are monogyne. Fire ant queens are a tad larger than the very largest majors -- maybe 9-10 mm if I remember right?
I'm interested in seeing how this works. If I remember right, some researchers studing phorid flies use exactly this method to capture colonies.

Oftentimes, in the polygyne nests, some queens will be MUCH closer to the surface. They have smaller majors and MASSIVE nests. The biggest I've seen was a mound about 25" tall by about 45" wide.

I have no desire to keep these ants either. I've seen nests go from nonexistent to several thousand workers within 6 to 8 months or so. I'm not really bothered by the stings anymore, as I've been stung a LOT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users