• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What are those green stuff on deceased ants/termites?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 4:50 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

I kept some termites for ant food. Found out they have some green stuff. I placed it in the freezer. Also is it a good idea to freeze it? Because I intend them to be ant food and don't wanna ruin the fridge.

i eat cars for breakfast everynight

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 20 2020 - 5:31 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

The green stuff is probably mold, so it may not be a good idea to feed the termites to your ants.

Edited by Antkid12, June 20 2020 - 5:32 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 5:32 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

The green stuff is probably mold. 

Not sure if its related to ant keeping but will it affect the fridge? And to a more related question, will it too affect the ants?

#4 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 20 2020 - 5:52 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Just get rid of the termites. If you collected some live termites and put them in the freezer how did they get this moldy???

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#5 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 6:04 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Just get rid of the termites. If you collected some live termites and put them in the freezer how did they get this moldy???

they died after collecting them. And they got moldy outside then I left them in the freezer

#6 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 20 2020 - 6:07 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

they died after collecting them. And they got moldy outside then I left them in the freezer

How is that even possible? If you just collected some termites and stuck them in the fridge they wouldn't get moldy. Why would you leave them outside?? And how did they die? This situation reeks of improper practice.

#7 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 20 2020 - 6:50 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Just get rid of the termites. The green mold especially, I've noticed it affect brood. You definitely don't want the moldy termites sitting in the ant nest when it forms those little tower things.

• TennesseeAnts and MinigunL5 like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#8 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 6:52 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

How is that even possible? If you just collected some termites and stuck them in the fridge they wouldn't get moldy. Why would you leave them outside?? And how did they die? This situation reeks of improper practice.

They died because I left them in a container to die since I don't think ants should eat alive termites. (Also I don't have any ant colony. I have left the termites in a container for the future)

Edited by Hightlyze, June 20 2020 - 6:56 AM.

#9 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:03 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

They died because I left them in a container to die since I don't think ants should eat alive termites. (Also I don't have any ant colony. I have left the termites in a container for the future)

Next time kill the termites by freezing them, Then they won't mold.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkid12 and MinigunL5 like this

#10 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:04 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Termites die very easily of mold.

Edited by Antkid12, June 20 2020 - 3:14 PM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#11 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:04 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

By chance is it possible to remove the mold? Termites don't show up in a swarm all the time. Most of the other ant food sources people recommend are hard to find.

#12 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:11 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

By chance is it possible to remove the mold? Termites don't show up in a swarm all the time. Most of the other ant food sources people recommend are hard to find.

No, you can't remove the mold. If you mean remove molded termites to leave just the clean ones then yes, but even those clean ones will begin to mold soon enough unless you cool or freeze them.

#13 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 7:14 AM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

No, you can't remove the mold. If you mean remove molded termites to leave just the clean ones then yes, but even those clean ones will begin to mold soon enough unless you cool or freeze them.

Can I check tomorrow? They are in the freezer right now

Edited by Hightlyze, June 20 2020 - 7:21 AM.

#14 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 20 2020 - 9:43 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

That's your problem. Have you actually done any research on how to handle feeders and prekilling them? In the time you took to make this post you could have answered your question with a simple google search and then some.

#15 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted June 20 2020 - 1:26 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

That's your problem. Have you actually done any research on how to handle feeders and prekilling them? In the time you took to make this post you could have answered your question with a simple google search and then some.

No need to be so hostile. 

• TennesseeAnts and Froggy like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#16 Offline Zeiss - Posted June 20 2020 - 1:48 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Instead of being upset on an ant forum, helping is better.  Yes, stuff like this is simple, but there is no need to get upset.

• FSTP and Froggy like this

#17 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 20 2020 - 2:32 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Yeah, sorry for being hostile. I suggest making a new rule: Only ask questions of which you cannot find on a simple google search or on Crystal's guide. Might be a personal issue, but it makes me kind of mad that so many people of the forum put in the effort to answer this guy's questions but he makes ZERO effort to find any of the info on his own.

#18 Online ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2020 - 3:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This is his modus operandi. Don’t take the bait and don’t poke the bear.
  • Antkid12 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline Hightlyze - Posted June 20 2020 - 10:01 PM

Hightlyze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

This is his modus operandi. Don’t take the bait and don’t poke the bear.

What is this referring to?

Edited by Hightlyze, June 20 2020 - 10:02 PM.

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 22 2020 - 9:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Yeah, sorry for being hostile. I suggest making a new rule: Only ask questions of which you cannot find on a simple google search or on Crystal's guide. Might be a personal issue, but it makes me kind of mad that so many people of the forum put in the effort to answer this guy's questions but he makes ZERO effort to find any of the info on his own.

Forums are for asking questions. Also, many people don’t have a ton of experience when it comes to antkeeping because antkeeping isn’t something that you can look up with a quick google search! Try looking up a care guide for a specific species. Doubt you’ll find one. Also, termites are rarely used as feeders for anything, so a quick google search might not even help.
  • AntsMaryland, TennesseeAnts and Froggy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users