• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Finland!

finland carpenter ant camponotus camponotus herculeanus video live antlive youtube

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jepat - Posted June 19 2020 - 8:05 AM

jepat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFinland

Hi!

I've had a few ant farms in recent years. I am trying to set up a live stream from my formicarium to check it anytime I like. The live stream is public at least for now so feel free to see it in action at the bottom of this post.

My carpenter ant laid eggs couple of days ago. If you like I might be able to find and edit a video of her laying eggs.

Best regards

jepat

edit: stream address changed

Edited by jepat, June 20 2020 - 10:04 PM.

• FeedTheAnts, Nare, Antennal_Scrobe and 4 others like this

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 19 2020 - 8:07 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Welcome to the forum!  :)

Edited by Antkid12, June 19 2020 - 8:07 AM.

• jepat likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted June 19 2020 - 8:45 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Welcome. Tell your queen she's looking great  :D

• Antkid12 and jepat like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#4 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:22 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Welcome to the forum! We hope you enjoy your time here, Awesome Idea live streaming your queen, one question though. Does that expose her to light? If so, that may disturb the queen, and she may be stressed.
  • jepat likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#5 Offline Froggy - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:36 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Welcome to the forum! We hope you enjoy your time here, Awesome Idea live streaming your queen, one question though. Does that expose her to light? If so, that may disturb the queen, and she may be stressed.

I think you could use a nightvision camera or something, although I don't think you can record through glass or any reflective surfaces because of glare

• TechAnt and jepat like this

#6 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 19 2020 - 11:36 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I think you could use a nightvision camera or something, although I don't think you can record through glass or any reflective surfaces because of glare
I guess.
  • jepat likes this
My Ants:

#7 Offline VoidElecent - Posted June 19 2020 - 12:03 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Welcome to Formiculture! Live steam is really cool.

• Froggy and jepat like this

#8 Offline jepat - Posted June 19 2020 - 12:13 PM

jepat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFinland

Thanks for your comments and cheers! I remember reading from somewhere that if ants are never allowed to be in darkness they will not develop sensitivity to light. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am planning to keep the farm lit when ants are hibernating in winter.

• Froggy likes this

#9 Offline Froggy - Posted June 19 2020 - 12:19 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Thanks for your comments and cheers! I remember reading from somewhere that if ants are never allowed to be in darkness they will not develop sensitivity to light. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am planning to keep the farm lit when ants are hibernating in winter.

I'm pretty new to ant keeping so I'm not 100% sure, but yeah I'm pretty sure that ants will get used to light if their kept in it, most of the time people keep them in darkness so that they get used to it and then if you need to move them you can just put them in light

• jepat likes this

#10 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 19 2020 - 12:24 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

I wouldn't recommend lighting a formicarium as it is not natural for the ants, and the worst time to do it is when the queen is founding, especially if it's a fully claustral queen such as Camponotus. I've never tried lighting a queen but I don't think it possibly could be good for them. It may not do all that much harm but still I wouldn't try it.

• jepat likes this

#11 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 19 2020 - 1:13 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I recommend keeping them in darkness and only check on them once a week or so. That’s how a lot of ant keepers on here do it.

When I say ‘them’ I mean fully Claustral queens.

Edited by TechAnt, June 19 2020 - 1:14 PM.

• jepat likes this
My Ants:

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 19 2020 - 1:38 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think it depends on the queen. If she seems super chill, light should be fine. If not, maybe don't check on her as much.

• jepat likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 19 2020 - 1:52 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I think it depends on the queen. If she seems super chill, light should be fine. If not, maybe don't check on her as much.

Yeah, this queen seemed ok with the light

• jepat likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 19 2020 - 2:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
My Camponotus pennsylvanicus founding queen has been acclaimated to light. After a few days under my lamp, light and vibrations don’t bother her at all. My other Camponotus queens (vicinus, novaeboracensis, modoc) are kept in the dark, however.
  • jepat likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: finland, carpenter ant, camponotus, camponotus herculeanus, video, live, antlive, youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users