• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please read, question about my Queen.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:30 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA

I have a queen, i also caught a drone on the same day, this was like june 1st. that night i placed them togther because the queen still had her wings. I left them togther to try and get them to mate. i didn't notice anything at all for a few days. i then placed the queen in a different cup. and left the drone alone. but last night i decieded to put them back togther. i checked on them a few minitues ago and the drone has died. but the queen still has her wings. so i placed her in a test tube. I'm not sure if they mated are the drone just died for no reason. Any ideas? they also was like face to face for a bit after meeting again. then i noticed the male ant was walking all over her like almost checking her out. but never seen them mate. so i guess who knows.

Edited by chua2231, June 10 2020 - 3:34 AM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
What species is this? Keep in mind that most ants actually mate flying high up in the air. Just because a queen still has wings does not necessarily mean she is not mated.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:56 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA

Some species of Camponotus.

#4 Offline chua2231 - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:59 AM

chua2231

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Locationlouisana,LA

https://www.formicul...nk/#entry148916, i found her may 31st along with the drone. and the drone just died today. after putting them back together.

Edited by chua2231, June 10 2020 - 4:00 AM.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Lovely Camponotus castaneus queen. Just be patient and wait for eggs. Leave her alone in the dark for a week then check.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:27 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

She could still be mated if she has her wings.

• ANTdrew likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#7 Offline SabbyMae - Posted June 11 2020 - 4:23 PM

SabbyMae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFitchburg, MA

I have three Camponotus queens that still have their wings. One of them has already started laying eggs. They can often keep their wings throughout the founding process. Just be patient and keep her in the dark.

#8 Offline MrOdontomachus - Posted June 16 2020 - 5:56 PM

MrOdontomachus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMiami but soon VA

Solenopsis invicta (just using for an example) require a nuptial flight to mate. Did you capture them during a flight?

Edited by MrOdontomachus, June 16 2020 - 5:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users