• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CA: Sleepy's Ant Adoption and Custom Nests (CA02 COLONIES)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted July 29 2020 - 4:53 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
Deleted

Edited by Swirlysnowflake, August 4 2020 - 3:02 PM.

My YouTube channel :)

#22 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 4 2020 - 11:05 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

Officially out of P. Subnitidus queens. Colonies coming soon!

#23 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 4 2020 - 3:02 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

What are prices with workers?

My YouTube channel :)

#24 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 4 2020 - 7:45 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

What are prices with workers?

I believe you already asked this question, and I dm'd you. But just so everyone is clear

First 5 Reservations:
    -$45 for 5 Q and workers

Edited by SleepyAsianAnter, August 7 2020 - 4:24 PM.

• Thinkagain01 likes this

#25 Offline Rice - Posted August 7 2020 - 4:13 PM

Rice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA
Just ordered two colonies (C. Vicinus, P. Subnitidus) and both arrived in perfect health with no brood eaten. Would definitely recommend Sleepy as someone to buy from if you live in California.
  • SleepyAsianAnter likes this

#26 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 7 2020 - 4:35 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

POGONOMYRMEX DEAL, reserve, pay 50 dollars up front (will refund full amount should anything happen) shipping included, and receive a 5-queen pogonomyrmex subnitidus colony when they get workers! Deal only applicable for first 5 people. 

• zantezaint likes this

#27 Offline zantezaint - Posted August 7 2020 - 4:45 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Nice deal!

Edited by zantezaint, August 7 2020 - 4:46 PM.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#28 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 7 2020 - 4:54 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

For some reason I just happened to look at this,if using paypal,friends and family is the worst possible way to pay. It does not prevent scams in any way. What it does do is cheat Paypal out of their piece of the action and even worse gives the buyer absolutely no recourse if their is a problem. Any  seller that requires payment in this manner should be avoided.

#29 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:07 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

For some reason I just happened to look at this,if using paypal,friends and family is the worst possible way to pay. It does not prevent scams in any way. What it does do is cheat Paypal out of their piece of the action and even worse gives the buyer absolutely no recourse if their is a problem. Any  seller that requires payment in this manner should be avoided.

You know Drew uses friends and family and other reputable sellers. Also why was this posted here, its not necessary.

Edited by TechAnt, August 7 2020 - 5:07 PM.

• Obickel526 likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#30 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:24 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

I don't want to risk getting scammed; potential scammers using the business option could initiate refunds after receiving ants, resulting in a lengthy and frankly annoying disputing and arguing process, which could result in me losing a significant amount of money. I just don't want to go through that hassle. My reputation as a seller should be enough to assure potential buyers, and anyone who has bought from me in the past can confirm that I won't scam, lie, or steal. Also, as you might have noticed, the friends-and-family option is required by many other sellers, all of whom are very reputable. The simple issue is trust, does the customer trust the seller? You can just look at my reviews and determine for yourself whether or not I am trustworthy.

#31 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:28 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

You know Drew uses friends and family and other reputable sellers. Also why was this posted here, its not necessary.

Actually since in the very first post here the use of friends and family is recommended as a payment option by the seller and a way to prevent scams which it does not, I understand that many safe and reputable sellers use the option however it is cheating paypal out of their 3percent or whatever the fee is these days, and your paypal privileges can be taken away. In addition if you use this option you have no buyer protection if the seller does prove to be a scammer.

Edited by gcsnelling, August 7 2020 - 5:30 PM.

#32 Offline zantezaint - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:38 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Actually since in the very first post here the use of friends and family is recommended as a payment option by the seller and a way to prevent scams which it does not, I understand that many safe and reputable sellers use the option however it is cheating paypal out of their 3percent or whatever the fee is these days, and your paypal privileges can be taken away. In addition if you use this option you have no buyer protection if the seller does prove to be a scammer.

Doesn't it go both ways? A seller can be scammed by a buyer by keeping the product and asking for a refund? I remember this happened to me and a few other people as selllers, but not over ants.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#33 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:40 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

It doesn't cheat PayPal out of anything, PayPal takes a cut as a liability contingency, when you use friends and family you're trusting a seller and the liability doesn't need to be accounted for as you're willing to shoulder it instead of PayPal.

• zantezaint likes this

#34 Offline sirjordanncurtis - Posted August 7 2020 - 5:42 PM

sirjordanncurtis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, California

There are also lower chances of the sellers actually being scammers compared to the buyers. Sellers have track records which can be measured in part by the replies posted to the thread. Buyers have basically no track record. A random person could easily make a new account on formiculture and request a refund even after receiving live ants.

• Somethinghmm and zantezaint like this

#35 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 8 2020 - 2:06 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Bump, be among the first 5 to grab the pogonomyrmex deal! Prices after first 5 will be much higher, also, for this one, you get free shipping!

#36 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 10 2020 - 3:00 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Update! Only one more person can claim the 5-queen pogonomyrmex reservation, first come first serve! Price will be 15-30 dollars higher after reservation ends, and you even get free shipping for this deal!

Edited by SleepyAsianAnter, August 10 2020 - 3:45 PM.

#37 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted August 17 2020 - 11:27 AM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Updated: Added M. mexicanus queens, hopefully will have colonies in 1-2 months. 

#38 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted August 27 2020 - 10:20 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Thanks again Sleepy!

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, August 27 2020 - 10:21 AM.

• SleepyAsianAnter likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#39 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted September 7 2020 - 7:42 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

UPDATE: Added in P. Subnitidus polygenous/pleometric colonies, changed deal for M. mexicanus due to the fact that they all have a dozen or more larvae and a pile of eggs. 

#40 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted October 13 2020 - 2:42 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

SleepyAsianAnter is one of my favorite sellers. He's very responsible and I appreciate all that he does.  :yahoo:

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, October 13 2020 - 2:43 PM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users