• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rubber bands are interesting to ants?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted June 11 2020 - 5:57 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

So today my Pheidole Megacephala decided that the rubber band that is helping hold up their water trough is absolutely fascinating. So much so that they even brought out the big jawed majors to help chew at it. This setup has been in there for a long while now and one or two has been up there before but never have they swarmed it. I can't figure out what the sudden interest in it is for?

I know they been drinking a LOT more recently, it has been interesting seeing how far it has gone down each day. The only things I can think of is either they can't get enough water from the cotton (that keeps them from drowning but still having access to the water) and so they are looking for an easier way into the water which the rubber is "easier" to chew or maybe there is something within the rubber band that they need food-wise. I been feeding them bugs and honey mostly, are they missing something in their diet?

Anyway, I'm just curious since I only just noticed a moment ago that they were swarming it. Aaaand it looks like they mostly gave up as now only 10 are still up there. Maybe they were just bored? lol

The big dark blob is a major chewing at the rubber band. Wish I could get better shots. Blah.

AntBehaviorOnRubberbandWater01.jpg

• Nare and Antennal_Scrobe like this

#2 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 11 2020 - 6:20 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Ants can be really weird like that sometimes, I doubt that there is any real nutritional need they are fulfilling. Perhaps one of the compounds in rubber bands is similar enough to one found in insects or nuts that they are attracted to it as if it was food.

• CheetoLord02, Ants_Dakota and BitT like this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 12 2020 - 1:05 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Maybe it is just workers feeling the crave to dig, but can't in your setup. My ants try to dig anything when there is no dirt to dig.

• Antennal_Scrobe likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 12 2020 - 1:10 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Maybe it is just workers feeling the crave to dig, but can't in your setup. My ants try to dig anything when there is no dirt to dig.

Could be. Maybe you should give them a little bowl of reptile substrate to use for nest modification. 

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#5 Offline BitT - Posted June 24 2020 - 12:56 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Sorry for super late reply! I actually do have play sand in their outworld setup. When they were first introduced to it they did dig in it but they haven't tried to do that in ages. They also have a large rock in their set up where they like to bury their extra bug parts for later use. As an update though since that day they haven't tried to mess with the rubber band. At this point I'm thinking they just got curious and decided to see what they could do with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users