• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kael's Camponotus nearcticus Journal

camponotus nearcticus journal ant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 11 2020 - 7:11 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I just caught this queen at a cemetery at the back of my neighborhood. She was under some wood and leaf litter looking for a nest. She is currently being kept in a vial with a wet cotton ball at the bottom and some substrate. This is a practically identical setup to my P. pennsylvanica's. She was freaking out on the ceiling of the vial, but I flicked the top and she fell off. She ran around the bottom and found the starter burrow, which she immediately ran down and was like, "Hey, this is kind of nice."

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 11 2020 - 7:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Why not a good ol’ test tube set up?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 11 2020 - 8:17 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I think my fat test tubes I used to use have fumes that kill the ants. Any ant I put in those died the same way. I also used my THA genesis test tube for my C. novae

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 11 2020 - 8:18 AM.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 12 2020 - 2:20 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Unfortunately she escaped into my room and I think I killed her.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, nearcticus, journal, ant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users