• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ender Ants' Solenopsis cf. molesta Journal

solenopsis molesta thief ants solenopsis solenopsis krockowi

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Devi - Posted August 10 2020 - 5:04 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Are solenopsis malesta polygynous?  I found a massive nest that is about ten by ten feet in my backyard with hundreds of elates getting ready for their nuptial flight.  I counted (what I think are) at least ten queens...  but they could just be majors...

• Ender Ants likes this

#22 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 10 2020 - 5:10 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Solenopsis molesta are not polymorphic, So you were most likely queens, and I'm pretty sure they are polygynous.

Edited by Antkid12, August 10 2020 - 5:11 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#23 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 10 2020 - 5:27 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They are very polygynous.

#24 Offline Devi - Posted August 10 2020 - 5:36 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Thanks, I'm not very familiar with the species. :)

#25 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 12 2020 - 3:01 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

Are solenopsis malesta polygynous?  I found a massive nest that is about ten by ten feet in my backyard with hundreds of elates getting ready for their nuptial flight.  I counted (what I think are) at least ten queens...  but they could just be majors...

My colony isn't polygynous, I think someone replied saying that the eastern ones are, but the western ones aren't. Last year when I caught a lot of these queens I put them together, but all of them fought one another. 

#26 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 12 2020 - 6:23 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

My colony isn't polygynous, I think someone replied saying that the eastern ones are, but the western ones aren't. Last year when I caught a lot of these queens I put them together, but all of them fought one another. 

Western "Solenopsis molesta" don't seem to truly be S. molesta. It does seem to be a regional behavior (polygyny), as you said, however. I am not sure why that is the case, but I'm sure someone else might know.  

• AnthonyP163 and Ender Ants like this

#27 Offline Otter - Posted August 12 2020 - 6:51 PM

Otter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationBoston

Can confirm: 

Check out my Youtube! 
https://www.youtube....ohUZtcyttLctSwA

I also have an Antstagram
https://www.instagra...otters_inverts/

#28 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 12 2020 - 8:52 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Yeah, this species is most likely not S. molesta, but rather another one of the many "thief ant" species in the southwest. I just caught 2 queens that look identical to yours this morning, and I am positive that they are not S. molesta. This could explain why yours do not appear to be polygynous; because this species may not be.

EDIT: I looked into it a bit more, and our queens are most likely Solenopsis krockowi

Edited by CheetoLord02, August 13 2020 - 2:23 AM.

• Ender Ants and TennesseeAnts like this

#29 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 13 2020 - 6:38 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I think tenneseensis is just as likely. I have seen the wild nests in socal, and they fit their description perfectly.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#30 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 13 2020 - 1:51 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I think tenneseensis is just as likely. I have seen the wild nests in socal, and they fit their description perfectly.

S. tennesseensis queens are small (only around 3-4mm) and darker in coloration. Granted I don't think Ender Ants posted a size, as this journal isn't really meant to be an ID request, but my queens are 6.5-7mm, and they look basically identical to Ender Ants'

#31 Offline Ender Ants - Posted August 13 2020 - 4:35 PM

Ender Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationTrES-2b

S. tennesseensis queens are small (only around 3-4mm) and darker in coloration. Granted I don't think Ender Ants posted a size, as this journal isn't really meant to be an ID request, but my queens are 6.5-7mm, and they look basically identical to Ender Ants'

I was thinking krockowi too, I just haven't seen a lot of photos to confirm. My queens are around 4mm, and the drones are 3mm. 

Queen:

Vi4oATJ.jpg

Drone:

yrEYi7J.jpg

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, thief ants, solenopsis, solenopsis krockowi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users