• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica parasite/host polygyne scenario question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
So, I was just curious about Formica social parasites. I was wondering if, say, you have a mature F. montana colony with 5 queens, and that colony is infiltrated by a single parasitic queen. My question is, would the queen simply kill one host queen and leave the rest alone, or would she hunt down every last queen and kill them all?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline Nare - Posted June 6 2020 - 4:06 PM

Nare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Most parasites would kill all 5 queens I'd assume. I've heard Formica uralensis queens might coexist in host colonies (rather what I heard is that host colonies adopt uralensis queens and so presumably the parasites coexist with the hosts), but I think it unlikely that anything over here isn't going to just go ahead and kill all 5 queens. Much safer to take brood from the large colony and give it to the parasite.

• AnthonyP163 and AntsDakota like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users