• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Florida 06-04-2020 (Edited: 07-09-2020)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted June 4 2020 - 3:22 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

1. Location (on a map): Central Florida

2. Date of collection: Collected June 04, 2020

3. Habitat of collection: Sidewalk

4. Length:

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture:

6. Distinguishing characteristics:

7. Distinguishing behavior: Very zoomy. She only rested to clean herself where I could get a picture then zoomed some more.

8. Nest description: N/A

9. Nuptial flight time and date: I'm guessing June 04, 2020, found about 8AM-ish, saw no others.

10. Post the clearest pictures: Attached file.

When I first saw her I thought she was another Brachymyrmex (Obscurior or Patagonicus) until I realized she seemed a bit bigger and leggier. Her antennae seem pretty long too.

newgirl06042020-1.jpg

Edit Below:

Bumping this because there is still confusion on if this is a Paratrechina longicornis or a Nylanderia bourbonica. I would like a few more opinions since it's pretty much a 1:1 and I'm still learning so I'd like to gather as much information and advice as I can. Added some pictures and a video to the original post in hopes it will help.

Sized by a 100th of an inch ruler.

100thofinchruler02.png

Sized by a CM ruler. Sadly they didn't have a MM ruler in the basic store so probably going to have to order one online or check a hardware/tool store.

cmruler02.jpg

And a video of her. Hopefully it is clearer than the pictures. Sorry for the shakes, I could never be a surgeon.

I suppose if it comes down to it we could try again when she has workers or if I ever get a better way to take clearer pictures. Maybe I can borrow my mother's camera if it has a micro lens.

Edit For Video:

Nylanderia bourbonica? Paratrechina Longicornis?

I'm still having trouble telling the difference with the workers. Could someone explain the differences to me again? And if someone has comparison pictures of the two species? I keep looking online but I can't be 100% they aren't misidentified either and I'm still waiting on my two ant books I ordered which will hopefully help me in the future.

Edited by BitT, July 8 2020 - 8:48 PM.

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2020 - 3:43 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Probably a Nylanderia sp.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted June 4 2020 - 3:50 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

Definitely not Nylanderia, as all Nylanderia species in the US (I assume this would be bourbonica) have prominent macrosetae throughout their bodies. This is the queen of Paratrechina longicornis, which lack prominent macrosetae.

• VoidElecent, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 4 2020 - 3:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Okay. Thank you for the info, I didn't know that.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
These will breed in the nest.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline BitT - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:26 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you everyone!

#7 Offline BitT - Posted July 1 2020 - 2:48 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Bumping this because there is still confusion on if this is a Paratrechina longicornis or a Nylanderia bourbonica. I would like a few more opinions since it's pretty much a 1:1 and I'm still learning so I'd like to gather as much information and advice as I can. Added some pictures and a video to the original post in hopes it will help.

#8 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 1 2020 - 3:34 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Looks more like N. bourbonica to me. It probably has macrosetae that just aren't visible in these pictures due to not high enough magnification. It'll be pretty easy to tell once the workers are born because P. longicornis workers are much lankier.

#9 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 1 2020 - 3:35 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Yeah, just wait till first workers arrive then somebody could probably give a better ID.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#10 Offline BitT - Posted July 1 2020 - 4:06 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Ok, now that I have pretty much 3 people thinking it's more likely a Nylanderia bourbonica I'm leaning towards that. But I will take your guys' advice and just wait, if a bit impatiently/excitedly, for workers. I'm going to try my best to avoid mislabeling my ants but I suppose sometimes it can't be helped. I'll go edit her journal now to include the N. bourbonica species name until we get the mystery officially solved. Thanks as always, everyone!

• ANTdrew likes this

#11 Offline BitT - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:55 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Just a little bump since I'm still clueless in the differences. But now she has workers perhaps it will help you all to help me? I love their long antennae either way. And again I appreciate the help, hoping one day I'll have a keener understanding how to properly identify them. Ug, and it's so late I should be in bed. RIP

#12 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

The workers at least confirm Nylanderia. It is probably bourbonica but could perhaps also be steinheili.

#13 Offline BitT - Posted July 9 2020 - 6:18 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

The workers at least confirm Nylanderia. It is probably bourbonica but could perhaps also be steinheili.

Thank you! How were you able to tell? I looked at pictures of both species and still had a hard time telling them apart. What signs did you look for? How can I tell them apart in the future?

#14 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 9 2020 - 8:47 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Nylanderia bourbonica workers appear quite a bit larger in the field than Paratrechina longicornis, being around the same length but much bulkier with a wider head and usually with a much larger/inflated gaster. Sometimes you are able to see a slight purplish iridescence on the body of P. longicornisN. bourbonica does not have this at all. If it makes any sense, N. bourbonica are just easier to "see" because of how much bulkier they appear. Also, the eyes of P. longicornis workers are a lot larger in relation to the head, and I was able to easily see that the workers in your video have smaller eyes.

• ANTdrew and BitT like this

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 9:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Nylanderia bourbonica workers appear quite a bit larger in the field than Paratrechina longicornis, being around the same length but much bulkier with a wider head and usually with a much larger/inflated gaster. Sometimes you are able to see a slight purplish iridescence on the body of P. longicornis; N. bourbonica does not have this at all. If it makes any sense, N. bourbonica are just easier to "see" because of how much bulkier they appear. Also, the eyes of P. longicornis workers are a lot larger in relation to the head, and I was able to easily see that the workers in your video have smaller eyes.

I want to do a month long internship with Aaron567.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 9 2020 - 9:32 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and BitT like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline BitT - Posted July 9 2020 - 4:07 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you, Aaron567, that was extremely helpful! What differences would I look for between a Nylanderia bourbonica and a Nylanderia steinheili? Sorry, just have to squeeze out all the knowledge I can from your brain and anyone else I can learn from!

ANTdrew, I agree! lol

#17 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 9 2020 - 6:56 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Thank you, Aaron567, that was extremely helpful! What differences would I look for between a Nylanderia bourbonica and a Nylanderia steinheili? Sorry, just have to squeeze out all the knowledge I can from your brain and anyone else I can learn from!

ANTdrew, I agree! lol

I've never seen steinheili in person but it seems like a bunch of microscopic differences between them and bourbonica, just like how it is with nearly all the other Nylanderia in Florida. N. bourbonica have black coxae (first segment of the leg) and N. steinheili have white coxae, for one example. You're overall much more likely to be finding bourbonica, especially if you found the queen in a disturbed/urban/suburban area.

Edited by Aaron567, July 9 2020 - 6:57 PM.

• BitT likes this

#18 Offline BitT - Posted July 9 2020 - 7:05 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

ANTdrew, I agree! lol

I've never seen steinheili in person but it seems like a bunch of microscopic differences between them and bourbonica, just like how it is with nearly all the other Nylanderia in Florida. N. bourbonica have black coxae (first segment of the leg) and N. steinheili have white coxae, for one example. You're overall much more likely to be finding bourbonica, especially if you found the queen in a disturbed/urban/suburban area.

Oh, interesting. Well, maybe after they start putting old workers in a graveyard I'll see if I can get one under a microscope. For now I'll assume they are N. bourbonica since they're likely to be that.Though I am curious who first noticed these such tiny differences between them. I was pretty confused when first looking at pictures of bourbonica and steinheili since they looked pretty much the same to me. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me.

#19 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted July 9 2020 - 7:16 PM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida
Judging by antweb pics, N. steinheili is also considerably smaller, with queens averaging 3-3.5mm and workers 2mm. N. bourbonica is our largest species of Nylanderia. Having seen thousands of these queens in my driveway alone over the years there’s really no question regarding her identity.

Edited by 123LordOfAnts123, July 9 2020 - 7:20 PM.

• Aaron567 and BitT like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users