• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Genera and Subfamilies

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 4 2020 - 12:27 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

How do you familiarize yourself with all ant genuses? I thought a pheidole queen was a fire ant.  :facepalm:I want to be less of a newb.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 4 2020 - 12:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Browse around on sites like antweb and antwiki. there's really nothing to it other than doing some research.

• Ants_Dakota, Antkid12 and Froggy like this

#3 Offline Froggy - Posted June 4 2020 - 12:55 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I am a noob too lol, Pheidole do look a lot like Solonopsis queens though, a lot of ID's have to do with small details like hairs, thorax shape, petiole shape and number, antennae segments, gaster shape and segments, etc. so you kinda just gotta research the species in your area and look for differences

#4 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 4 2020 - 1:21 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

You don't need to pay attention to small things to get a genus level ID (usually) Look at the body shape. Pheidole are flat, blocky, squared off. Solenopsis are round, oval shaped, smooth.

• Antkid12 and Froggy like this

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted June 4 2020 - 1:36 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Get real specimens, make sure they are properly identified to subfamily or genus then pay attention to the genera.  If you have your specimens and a good subfamily key you can see the "major" and "delimiting"characters for each subfamily and genus.  It takes time and an eye for detail. Good luck!!

• gcsnelling likes this

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 7:27 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Size and color are the best way to determine a genus. I have misidentified many ants over the phone when I do not get the size.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline steam_funk - Posted June 10 2020 - 2:48 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

Pheidole and Solenopsis are very similar especially the queens. There are thousands of ant species ,but they occupy the whole globe. If you live in a northern area you could probably get familiar with the ones in you area in a few hours of google. If you live in a tropical area you could still learn a lot about the more common ones in very little time.

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 10 2020 - 2:53 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Study, study, study.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#9 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:26 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Size and color are the best way to determine a genus. I have misidentified many ants over the phone when I do not get the size.

Its almost never good to use color. Size is alright, but many species among a genus or even individuals among a species vary a lot in size.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#10 Offline gcsnelling - Posted June 10 2020 - 3:31 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Color sucks

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#11 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:05 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Color sucks

It really does...

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:05 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Not true at all. Not all 5 mm black ants are Formica. Could most certainly be Camponotuts (Myrmentoma) sp. And what about telling apart Lasius and Nylanderia? Generally same size and color. Some Tetramorium and Pheidole look similar. What about Temnothorax and Solenopsis molesta? Here's some more:

Aphaenogaster/Myrmica

Polyergus/Formica

Dorymyrmex/Tapinoma

Ponera/Hypoponera

Acromyrmex/Atta

Prenolepis/Myrmecocystus

These could all be confused by beginners.

Edited by AntsDakota, June 10 2020 - 4:09 PM.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:06 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

You really just have to familiarize yourself with the ants in your area via trial and error, and eventually you'll get really good at telling them apart. Try browsing Formiculture ID threads, BugGuide, iNaturalist, etc, and post on here if you have any questions. Antwiki/Antmaps is good for trial and error; look at all the different genera in your state and see which ones look like what you have. 

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

#14 Offline Antennal_Scrobe - Posted June 10 2020 - 4:09 PM

Antennal_Scrobe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

A good tip for telling apart Camponotus and FormicaCamponotus have one hump on the thorax, and Formica have two. Camponotus minors can also be recognized by their somewhat rectangular head, whereas Formica usually have more triangular heads.

Currently keeping:

Tetramorium immigrans, Pogonomyrmex occidentalis

Myrmica punctiventris, Formica subsericea

Formica pallidefulva, Aphaeogaster cf. rudis

Camponotus pennsylvanicus

Camponotus nearcticus

Crematogaster cerasi

Temnothorax ambiguus

Prenolepis imparis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users