• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How can I tell if queen is fertile?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 2 2020 - 3:07 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I have queens, all with eggs, and I'm not 100% sure they are mated. How can I tell if they are?

Edited by MinigunL5, June 2 2020 - 4:28 PM.

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 2 2020 - 3:53 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

I often hear that fertile queens are more likely to have their eggs in a neat little pile, while unfertile queens will leave them lying around.

• Temperateants, DDD101DDD, Ants_Dakota and 1 other like this

#3 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 2 2020 - 3:55 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I often hear that fertile queens are more likely to have their eggs in a neat little pile, while unfertile queens will leave them lying around.

What if its just one egg that is not in a pile? Also what would be a neat little pile?

#4 Offline Pumpkin_Loves_Ants - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:02 PM

Pumpkin_Loves_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

There is no 100% guaranteed way to tell if a queen has mated, but you can look for signals. Did you find them with or without wings? Queens with their wings still attached have a lower chance of having mated but it doesn't mean they aren't fertile. When were the eggs laid? You should see development into larvae around 1-2 weeks depending on the species. Fertile queens also tend to clean the tips of their gasters quite often. 

What if its just one egg that is not in a pile? Also what would be a neat little pile?

A neat little pile is a bit self-explanatory. It means the eggs aren't scattered individually around the queen. If just one egg isn't in the pile it most likely means the queen laid it very recently and hasn't gotten the chance to move it to the main pile.

• Temperateants, DDD101DDD and MinigunL5 like this
Lasius Neoniger (Around 23ish workers)

Tetramorium Immigran (8 Workers)

Myrmica Queen (Not 100% on species)

Formica Subsericea (No workers)

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:02 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

A pile would be if all the eggs were clumped closely together

#6 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:05 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

A pile would be if all the eggs were clumped closely together

What about when the eggs hatch? Will they even hatch?

#7 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:13 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Sometimes queens lay trophic eggs, which they eat before hatching. However, if an infertile queen lives long enough, her eggs will grow into males.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:18 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Probably over 98% of queens are fertile unless they have some genetic deformity or something. What you should be asking is if the queens are mated.
  • PacificNorthWestern and DDD101DDD like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:22 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I think that's what they meant... I'm guilty of using them as synonyms too

#10 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 2 2020 - 4:28 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I think that's what they meant... I'm guilty of using them as synonyms too

Oops, sorry

Probably over 98% of queens are fertile unless they have some genetic deformity or something. What you should be asking is if the queens are mated.

Ah ok, I meant mated then, not fertile

#11 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:28 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Interesting....I did not know that

• Ants_Dakota and MinigunL5 like this

#Ants4Life

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I actually find one of the best indicators is caring for the eggs, constantly licking them, as many queens will lay a pile of eggs, and just ignore it. All of those seem to be unmated.

• MinigunL5 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#13 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 3 2020 - 3:32 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I actually find one of the best indicators is caring for the eggs, constantly licking them, as many queens will lay a pile of eggs, and just ignore it. All of those seem to be unmated.

https://imgur.com/a/KsJsEbW

that's an older picture, but do you think it's mated?

#14 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 3 2020 - 3:36 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Wouldn't gravid be a better term?

#15 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:00 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Gravid means with eggs. Unmated queens can still lay eggs. I can't guess whether that queen you have there is mated, I would have to observe for a few days.

• MinigunL5 likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#16 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:02 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Gravid means with eggs. Unmated queens can still lay eggs. I can't guess whether that queen you have there is mated, I would have to observe for a few days.

Ok  :)  (y)  

Edit: look at this https://www.research...pregnant_insect

Edited by MinigunL5, June 3 2020 - 4:09 PM.

#17 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:05 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

This is a weird word, but would impregnated be a good term instead of mated? XD

#18 Offline Temperateants - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:23 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Well, everyone else here brought up good points. Basically some signs:

• Wingless: not always a reliable sign, I've had plenty of queens I found with wings found colonies.
  • Licking the tip of their gaster: They curl up, as if to lay an egg. I like to think of this as practice.
  • Settling down: A lot of mated queens will settle down quicker, but this isn't actually a very reliable sign, as most Camponotus queens are very active in the first few days, and eventually unmated queens will also settle down.
  • Egg piles: In the rare occurance unmated queens lay, they will usually eat the piles (some sensitive queens do this though) or lay eggs but not organize them. I have dealt with these queens before

Sometiimes, you can encourage laying by providing better conditions, such as using a heating cable if your queen doesn't get enough heat and providing adequate humidity and giving your queens a lot of space.

Edited by Temperateants, June 3 2020 - 4:23 PM.

• ANTdrew, Ants_Dakota and MinigunL5 like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#19 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:29 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Well, everyone else here brought up good points. Basically some signs:

• Wingless: not always a reliable sign, I've had plenty of queens I found with wings found colonies.
  • Licking the tip of their gaster: They curl up, as if to lay an egg. I like to think of this as practice.
  • Settling down: A lot of mated queens will settle down quicker, but this isn't actually a very reliable sign, as most Camponotus queens are very active in the first few days, and eventually unmated queens will also settle down.
  • Egg piles: In the rare occurance unmated queens lay, they will usually eat the piles (some sensitive queens do this though) or lay eggs but not organize them. I have dealt with these queens before

Sometiimes, you can encourage laying by providing better conditions, such as using a heating cable if your queen doesn't get enough heat and providing adequate humidity and giving your queens a lot of space.

Thx for the help! Thankfully, all my queens so far have laid eggs. :D

I will look out for them licking the tip of their gastor.  (y)

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 3 2020 - 4:38 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

This is a weird word, but would impregnated be a good term instead of mated? XD
Or perhaps inseminated? I always feel like ‘unmated’ is such a casual and non scientific term.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users