• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pheidole morrisi

pheidole dentata pheidole dentata panic

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted June 2 2020 - 2:24 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

panic04.jpg

Genus: Pheidole
Species: morrisi

Common Name:

Colony Stage: Fresh Queen
Caught Date: 05-28-2020
Eggs: 05-30-2020
Larva: 06-28-2020
Pupa:

Nanitics: 07-03-2020

Diet:

Special Needs:

Do they Sting or bite?: Not sure if they sting but the queen, Panic, seemed she may bite.

Escape Artists?:

Queen or colony count: 1 Queen

Panic:

She seemed so laid back, she didn't seem scared. Tried getting her into a test tube from her jar and she wanted to just stand at the edge to sip at a tiny droplet. I gently booped her with a Q-tip and she turned around and latched onto it aggressively. Ok, first time I seen any queens do that (they always ran first or just acted curious). She found the tip wet so she chilled and started drinking from it. So I had this BRIGHT idea to boop her with my finger tip and when she turned around I spooked! Then I panicked because I lost her! I had the bright idea to do this while at my computer so here I am shuffling around my computer and looking on the floor and I'm thinking "great, of all the queens to lose in the house I lose one I not only don't know the species of (and if it stings) but also the most aggressive one!" So luckily my dog is smart and doesn't just go after something he don't know what it is but is curious enough for me to notice that "what's this creature" behavior and there she is. She freaked a little until I got her into the test tube (can't really blame her, poor thing) and then she settled right at home and is happy as a clam. So she get's a name since she has personality. Though she's not the panicking one. XD She's pretty laid back just don't boop her, the feisty lady says it rude.

05-30-2020:

Seemed healthy and laid her first eggs.

06-10-2020: She has a nice egg pile.

pile of eggs dentata 01.png

07-04-2020:

Panic has her first workers! Noticed her first one last night and today she has 3 nanitics. She is an aggressive layer! She has a nice pile of eggs, larva, and pupa. She's not fond of the light that's for sure.

07-30-2020:

They're doing great! But now their species is in question again so hold tight for that!

notdentata01.png

08-02-2020:

Well, with the help of Mdrogun it looks like these girls are Pheidole morrisi and not Pheidole dentata. This is believed because it looks like there is a lack of propodeal spines which dentata have but morrisi lack.

02-15-2022:

Still doing well but their numbers seem to have dropped. Like my Megas I think I need to up their proteins.

Link To My Journal Directory

Edited by BitT, February 15 2022 - 4:29 PM.

• FeedTheAnts and AntsDakota like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 2 2020 - 2:55 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dude, you’re so lucky!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Canadant - Posted June 2 2020 - 3:02 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Are these the guys with the super majors with giant heads? Man, I'd give my left pinky finger for a colony of these guys. They look awesome. Good luck. I'll be following. 

• ANTdrew and TheMicroPlanet like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#4 Offline BitT - Posted June 2 2020 - 3:19 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Dude, you’re so lucky!

Haha I guess so! I'm not a big fan of FL (was moved here when I was a kid) but it has it's benefits! I didn't even realize just how many species of ants live here and it seems my work has a chunk of that diversity! My boss has been amused by my new hobby but he doesn't seem thrilled about this bug diversity he didn't know about around his business. lol

Are these the guys with the super majors with giant heads? Man, I'd give my left pinky finger for a colony of these guys. They look awesome. Good luck. I'll be following. 

Actually, a lot of Pheidole seem to have big-headed majors. I don't know much about the Dentata yet but I do have a colony of Pheidole Megacephala that have workers and they have a few majors with big heads. They mostly sleep like lazy lugs until the minors come tell them about a bug I gave them then they come running to help pull it apart.

• Canadant and ANTdrew like this

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 2 2020 - 5:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
I don’t believe Pheidole sting.

Dude, you’re so lucky!

Haha I guess so! I'm not a big fan of FL (was moved here when I was a kid) but it has it's benefits! I didn't even realize just how many species of ants live here and it seems my work has a chunk of that diversity! My boss has been amused by my new hobby but he doesn't seem thrilled about this bug diversity he didn't know about around his business. lol

Actually, a lot of Pheidole seem to have big-headed majors. I don't know much about the Dentata yet but I do have a colony of Pheidole Megacephala that have workers and they have a few majors with big heads. They mostly sleep like lazy lugs until the minors come tell them about a bug I gave them then they come running to help pull it apart.
Supermajors are extreme majors, with even larger heads than normal.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 2 2020 - 5:55 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Pheidole DO bite, but the minor’s bites are basically unnoticeable, I’m not sure about the queens. But the majors bites don’t hurt much, and are noticeable, because their heads are full of muscle. Also, Pheidole are literally named the “Big Headed Ant” for their majors so I doubt they would not have majors, but some may not. My majors just sit around in the nest, and the tube connected to the outworld, but they venture out when they need to chop harder food where the workers can’t get through, or just patrol the outworld.

Edit: I believe NO Pheidole sp. sting, just biting. But most Pheidole seem to run more than fight if the thing they see as a threat is not harming them.

Edited by TechAnt, June 2 2020 - 5:57 PM.

My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#7 Offline BitT - Posted June 2 2020 - 6:52 PM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Pheidole Megacephala I know don't sting and they're so small even the major bites don't hurt. But I wasn't sure about others. Glad to learn most this genus don't sting! Fire ant bites/stings I can deal with and probably most others but I rather know before being surprised by one. XD Probably my least favorite to get stung by is the wood ant that loves palm and pine trees. I'll have to learn their actual scientific name one of these days.

Dentata queen seems quite a bit bigger than a Megacephala queen so I assume Dentata workers are going to be bigger so curious how their bite will be.

AntsDakota,

Hm, not sure if I have Supermajors. When I think of Supermajors I think of Leafcutter Ants and how vastly different all their types of workers are. My Megacephala have different sized Majors but the differences are so minimum I didn't even consider they could be a major and a supermajor.  Do Pheidole Dentata have supermajors?

#8 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 3 2020 - 6:52 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Pheidole dentata don't have supermajors but still so cool. So lucky by the way, I wish I had some Pheidole that were decent sized. 

Edited by Antkid12, June 3 2020 - 6:52 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#9 Offline BitT - Posted July 4 2020 - 8:44 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Panic has her first nanitics! With a short little video.

• CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 9:40 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

AntsDakota,

Hm, not sure if I have Supermajors. When I think of Supermajors I think of Leafcutter Ants and how vastly different all their types of workers are. My megacephala have different sized Majors but the differences are so minimum I didn't even consider they could be a major and a supermajor.  Do Pheidole Dentata have supermajors?

Very few ant species have supermajors. Some are in the genus Pheidole, but I doubt dentata do.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#11 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 28 2020 - 12:17 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Update? Also Pheidole dentata don't have supermajors.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#12 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 28 2020 - 2:22 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

AntsDakota,

Hm, not sure if I have Supermajors. When I think of Supermajors I think of Leafcutter Ants and how vastly different all their types of workers are. My megacephala have different sized Majors but the differences are so minimum I didn't even consider they could be a major and a supermajor.  Do Pheidole Dentata have supermajors?

Very few ant species have supermajors. Some are in the genus Pheidole, but I doubt dentata do.

Correct. Ph. tepicana and Ph. rhea do in the US.

• AntsDakota likes this

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 28 2020 - 3:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

AntsDakota,

I have always wanted tepicana.........

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 28 2020 - 3:24 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

AntsDakota,

I found Ph. tepicana in a friends yard. The supermajors are really cool looking. Kinda rare, but I found them for the first time in Tennessee, so there must be many more populations.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, July 28 2020 - 3:25 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#15 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 28 2020 - 3:33 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

AntsDakota,

I found Ph. tepicana in a friends yard. The supermajors are really cool looking. Kinda rare, but I found them for the first time in Tennessee, so there must be many more populations.

Awesome!

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 28 2020 - 4:14 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

AntsDakota,

I may want a permit for these if you ever found queens. Are they polygynous, by the way?

#17 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 28 2020 - 4:42 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

I found Ph. tepicana in a friends yard. The supermajors are really cool looking. Kinda rare, but I found them for the first time in Tennessee, so there must be many more populations.

Holy crap I’m stupid. 3 years ago I came across a Pheidole nest in our yard that had HUGE supermajors in it, and I only just realized today that it must have been Pheidole tepicana after looking them up, massive facepalm. I didn’t even realize that this species existed up North this far. Now I want to find more haha. I guess I just thought they were Pheidole bicarinata, until I realized P. bicarinata was only about 1/3 the size.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 28 2020 - 4:46 PM.

Spoiler

#18 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:30 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

I found Ph. tepicana in a friends yard. The supermajors are really cool looking. Kinda rare, but I found them for the first time in Tennessee, so there must be many more populations.

Holy crap I’m stupid. 3 years ago I came across a Pheidole nest in our yard that had HUGE supermajors in it, and I only just realized today that it must have been Pheidole tepicana after looking them up, massive facepalm. I didn’t even realize that this species existed up North this far. Now I want to find more haha. I guess I just thought they were Pheidole bicarinata, until I realized P. bicarinata was only about 1/3 the size.

There is one record from a little further North than you are.

AntsDakota,
Hm, not sure if I have Supermajors. When I think of Supermajors I think of Leafcutter Ants and how vastly different all their types of workers are. My megacephala have different sized Majors but the differences are so minimum I didn't even consider they could be a major and a supermajor. Do Pheidole Dentata have supermajors?

Very few ant species have supermajors. Some are in the genus Pheidole, but I doubt dentata do.

Correct. Ph. tepicana and Ph. rhea do in the US.

I have always wanted tepicana.........

I may want a permit for these if you ever found queens. Are they polygynous, by the way?

Sounds good. And idk if they are or not.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#19 Offline Froggy - Posted July 28 2020 - 7:37 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

I haven't seen Pheidole with supermajors, only majors, P. tepicana look amazing!

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#20 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted July 28 2020 - 9:26 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

AntsDakota,

North America has 4 species of trimorphic Pheidole, those being P. tepicana, P. hirtula, P. obtusospinosa, and P. rhea. I believe the entire genus in total has 7 trimorphic species worldwide, although it's likely there are more than only 7 trimorphic species and we just haven't found their supermajors yet, as Pheidole supermajors tend to mostly stay within the nest. But yeah, P. dentata definitely are only bimorphic. One interesting thing with them though is that the northern populations of them can be polygynous. I have a colony with 7 dealates currently.

• CatsnAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole dentata, pheidole, dentata, panic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users