• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Acromyrmex versicolor Journal [119] (Discontinued)

dspdrew acromyrmex versicolor journal fungus growers leaf cutters

471 replies to this topic

#441 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 7 2019 - 1:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 12-7-2019

I used the remaining fungus from the colony that moved into the 10-gallon Dirt Box setup to get a few more queens started a couple weeks ago. By now most of the new queens have failed. However, I do have 18 that so far are doing quite well. The other 10 that are left are likely failing.

The old colony in the regular formicarium is actually growing some new fungus, so that is good. That will be the only colony I can donate fungus from unless one of these new queens makes a large enough fungus garden.

The colony in the 10-gallon tank is doing great. They have two chambers dug with what looks like really healthy fungus in them. This colony will be fun to watch, but unfortunately I won't be able to take any fungus from them if I need it.

gallery_2_126_784840.jpg

gallery_2_126_445430.jpg

gallery_2_126_360286.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, Kalidas and Boog like this

#442 Offline Kalidas - Posted December 7 2019 - 8:07 AM

Kalidas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSanta Ana
That is such a neat setup. I hope it all works well.

Too bad so many are failing, but that really is normal for them. The fact you have so many remaining is a sign that you have learned a lot about caring for them

#443 Online B_rad0806 - Posted December 8 2019 - 7:17 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

nice, hope these guys do well

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#444 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 31 2020 - 11:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 1-31-2020

I'm down to eight new colonies from last season now. Three of them are doing really well, with fungus gardens that are growing larger every day. A few more are very healthy, but don't seem to be growing any larger. One of the remaining eight is doing really bad, and probably won't make it.

This is the original colony from two seasons ago. It regrew all the fungus I took from it, and even more.

gallery_2_126_129204.jpg

gallery_2_126_189445.jpg

This is the largest and fastest growing of the new colonies.

gallery_2_126_533822.jpg

gallery_2_126_286776.jpg

They just recently started hanging the fungus from the ceiling.

gallery_2_126_161967.jpg

gallery_2_126_688004.jpg

This is the second largest and fastest growing new colony.

gallery_2_126_596824.jpg

gallery_2_126_509239.jpg

This colony has very healthy looking fungus, but it just doesn't seem to get any larger.

gallery_2_126_284208.jpg

This one is small, but the fungus is growing pretty fast. I just moved it out of a starter formicarium and into this larger one-chamber formicarium.

gallery_2_126_254006.jpg

The colony living in the 10-gallon tank is doing great too. It's getting larger every day.

• TennesseeAnts, rbarreto, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#445 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:07 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Update 5-2-2020

I'll start with the colony in the 10-gallon Dirt Box. This colony is still doing great. It has grown to probably hundreds of workers, and has dug chambers on all four sides now. They have also made four entrances to their nest now. The original one looks like it's plugged up for good, and they're still currently using the other three. I can clearly see now why the fungus chambers always have such clean glass and are so easy to see--the ants are constantly licking it off. I guess it makes sense, because I assume that is what they always do in their fungus chambers to keep things as clean as possible.

We had a heatwave hit last week, and a few days into it, I noticed all of the colonies fungus was starting to die, and one of the new colonies lost theirs completely. I think theirs might have even died off before the heatwave though, because I found the queen dead too. This leaves me with only two new colonies from last season. It was over 90 degrees inside the ant cabinets where they were all kept, so I quickly moved them into the kitchen where it was cooler. After a few days of being kept in 75-80 degree temperatures, the fungus started looking healthy again, and one colony even started growing it in the second chamber I gave them months ago. I had been wondering why in the world they wouldn't expand to that other chamber, and now they finally did.

This is the side of the 10-gallon where the original fungus chamber was made. That one died off a while back after they started growing fungus in some of the other chambers.

gallery_2_126_1253961.jpg

Here you can see the end with the most healthy fungus now.

gallery_2_126_315795.jpg

gallery_2_126_1265921.jpg

I've noticed how the bottoms of all of the chambers just end up being a bed of gravel too large for them to carry. It actually make sense that it would end up that way.

gallery_2_126_373787.jpg

Here's all of the nest entrances they made. You can see how large some of the gravel they carry out of the nest is. It's interesting how they seem to leave it all closer to the entrance.

gallery_2_126_1589132.jpg

gallery_2_126_1087897.jpg

This is the other colony I still had from the year before, that I was originally taking fungus from. Their nice healthy fungus chamber started to die off, but they quickly replaced the dead fungus with new, and you can see the new chamber they just started growing fungus in.

gallery_2_126_818399.jpg

It's pretty cool how they hang it from the ceiling like little strings.

gallery_2_126_1006128.jpg

gallery_2_126_410863.jpg

This is the largest of the remaining two new colonies from last season.

gallery_2_126_229430.jpg

And here's the other remaining colony. It has really healthy looking fungus and is starting to grow pretty quickly now.

gallery_2_126_572885.jpg

• Zeiss, YsTheAnt, TennesseeAnts and 5 others like this

#446 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:32 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Looking good.  I had a fungus die off on mine as well, but I think that was due to neglect, haha.  I gave them more substrate today and they went crazy for it.  I can't remember exactly how old it is, but it's coming up on 2 years.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#447 Offline FSTP - Posted May 2 2020 - 12:32 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

this is world class ant keeping. 

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#448 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 8 2020 - 12:19 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Update?

#449 Offline ponerinecat - Posted September 8 2020 - 2:46 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Looking good. The fungus grids on the ceilings resembles some of the smaller neotropical genera.

#450 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 21 2020 - 4:25 PM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

is there a way to follow for future updates? or do i have to make a comment in here?

#451 Offline FSTP - Posted September 21 2020 - 4:34 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

is there a way to follow for future updates? or do i have to make a comment in here?

You click the "follow this topic" tab in the upper right hand corner. Then you will receive email notifications if you have them turned on in you user control panel.

Edited by FSTP, September 21 2020 - 4:34 PM.

#452 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 21 2020 - 4:54 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

You click the "follow this topic" tab in the upper right hand corner. Then you will receive email notifications if you have them turned on in you user control panel.

Unfortunately, until I get the server moved back into the data center, he won't get the emails because of where his email is hosted. This is true for probably most members of the forum right now.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#453 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 21 2020 - 4:59 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Unfortunately, until I get the server moved back into the data center, he won't get the emails because of where his email is hosted. This is true for probably most members of the forum right now.

i have noticed that. I have received no emails recently.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#454 Offline BeerBandit - Posted September 22 2020 - 10:30 AM

BeerBandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

eh, ill just keep checking back. thank you

#455 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 17 2021 - 4:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Update 1-17-2021

I still have all four colonies. Of the three in the plastic modular formicariums, I don't even remember now which one was the newer one, and which two were from three seasons ago. I have added two new chambers to each of the three by now, but recently they have been removing fungus much faster than growing new for some reason, so two of them have multiple empty chambers now.

This is the smallest colony. They decided to remove all the fungus from the first chamber, and now are removing it from the third. I thought maybe if there was some problem, they would start growing it in the new chamber (doesn't look so new anymore), but so far they have not. The chambers in this nest for some reason are remaining extremely wet, and I can't figure out exactly why. I think it might have something to do with how high I am keeping the water level in the water tank.

gallery_2_126_716829.jpg

This is the second largest. They have cleared out one of their chambers, and are working on another too unfortunately. I hope they start growing some new fungus soon.

gallery_2_126_1358881.jpg

This is the largest colony. Thankfully they haven't cleared out any of their chambers. This colony for some reason always insists on putting stuff in the new chamber I gave them. Before they were putting all of their garbage in there, which actually made it a lot easier to clean out. There were hardly ever very many ants in it, so I just had to remove it and clean it out, as opposed to opening the foraging area where there are always tons of ants. Lately, as you can see, they have now decided to start storing all of their substrate in there too. This is a very stupid idea, because now it is all starting to mold. I don't know why they keep doing this, but I wish they would stop.

gallery_2_126_318494.jpg

gallery_2_126_276760.jpg

Once the next possible Acromyrmex flghts are only a few months away, I'll probably sell the smallest one of these colonies, assuming I still have all three.

Here are some new pictures of the colony living in the 10-gallon dirt setup. I took pictures of all four sides.

gallery_2_126_784479.jpg

gallery_2_126_681357.jpg

gallery_2_126_367375.jpg

gallery_2_126_945337.jpg

It's fun watching this colony, as it acts very much the way they do in the wild. The most interesting thing is the nest structures. One day I will make a setup like this that has the entrance in the center of the foraging area. This way they will be able to make their entire mound.

gallery_2_126_1147591.jpg
  • Zeiss, mmcguffi, AnthonyP163 and 3 others like this

#456 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 17 2021 - 5:03 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

My Acromyrmex colony also purged a decent amount of fungus over the Winter.  They just have their walls coated in some fungus for now.  The good thing at least is that it looks to be very healthy.

#457 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 17 2021 - 5:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That tank is the coolest thing ever. I think I’m going to try making something similar for my Formica argentea colony, but on a much smaller scale. I have a few months to figure it out.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#458 Offline benxixi - Posted February 16 2021 - 8:47 PM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

can you sell me some fungus ? I have a small colony , but fungus dead....

Ants ,formicary, and ants supply product for selling .

Discord : benxixi#0053 , ins :benxixi_ (ants, product, nest pictures)

Pogonomyrmex californicus  1

#459 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 17 2021 - 8:15 AM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

He would have to dig up the whole colony to get some fungus, which means killing the colony. I would look for other people who have fungus.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#460 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted February 17 2021 - 10:01 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

He would have to dig up the whole colony to get some fungus, which means killing the colony. I would look for other people who have fungus.

He has colonies in set ups with no dirt that are easy enough to take from. He used one of them for that purpose in the past.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dspdrew, acromyrmex versicolor, journal, fungus growers, leaf cutters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users