• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus planatus (Deceased; Better luck next year.)

camponotus planatus planatus camponotus journal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Offline BitT - Posted May 31 2020 - 8:12 AM

BitT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

GoldDustLady02 H n i.jpg

BeyonceH-3.png

Genus: Camponotus
Species: Planatus

Common Name:

Colony Stage: Fresh Queen
Caught Date: 05-28-2020
Eggs: 06-08-2020
Larva: 06-28-2020
Pupa:

Diet: Honey?

Special Needs:

Do they Sting or bite?: No Stinger? Do they have formic acid and can it cause issues?

Escape Artists?:

Queen or colony count: 1 queen

Beyonce (H): Missing antennae, still has 1 wing. Has died RIP 07-17-2020

(i): Has died RIP 06-03-2020

So in "Ant ID Requests" I mentioned I caught 3 queens but one died. Well, apparently I made a mistake. When I noticed I had two living queens I figured I had caught 3 total (I mean I been catching so many species in a single day or two it was hard to keep track). But I come to realize that I must have only caught 2 and the one I thought had died is still alive and well! She is missing one antennae and still has one wing and when I look at pictures of the one I had thought died the single antennae and wing are on the same sides so I am sure they're the same one. Plus I can't find a dead one since I been saving them to identify. When I thought she died she was acting like she had been poisoned and with the missing antennae I assumed she was attacked by fire ants because I saw them killing an Impressa not far from where I caught her. Who knows for sure? Either way aside from her missing appendage she seems healthy and content now. My best friend started singing "she will survive!" when I told her about it and suggested naming her Beyonce. So Beyonce she is, I'll let you know if she starts singing.

Also, I very much feel like out of all my queens these girls seem to have the softest, most friendly looking faces. Am I the only one that feels that way? Just look at the middle picture. It's actually cute.

06-03-2020:

Super sad news. One of my two Planatus (i) seems to have died. I'm not sure what happened because it was actually the healthiest one that up and died. I put some honey in there and left her hoping against hope she'll perk back up like Beyonce did. Beyonce still looks ok but I put a little honey with her hoping it might up her chances of survival. But since she only has one antennae and had an episode before my hopes aren't super high, even if she gets workers I suspect her life span will be shorter than normal. Pretty sad about this since besides Colobopsis Impressa the Camponotus Planatus I felt most excited about. I guess there is always next year if these girls don't work out and I have several other species to care for at the moment. Still I'm pretty bummed about it.

06-09-2020:

Beyonce has laid eggs! Noticed yesterday. She seems to be doing well. I have a little hope she'll at least have her own workers for a while. Also hope whatever episode she had back when I caught her doesn't effect any eggs she has. I guess only time will tell.

06-28-2020:

Beyonce is still alive and now has larva. Hoping she isn't just getting my hopes up but eager to see workers in the future.

07-17-2020:

Beyonce has died. I'm pretty upset about it even though I knew she'd probably have a short life. I was hopeful with the larva but just no luck with this species. I'm going to try next year if I can find more of this species but for now I'll just focus on the other queens I have.

BeyonNLarvaRIP.jpg

Link To My Journal Directory

Edited by BitT, July 18 2020 - 6:13 PM.

• Nare, OhNoNotAgain and Froggy like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus planatus, planatus, camponotus, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users