• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts' Strumigenys pilinasis Journal (Updated 7-30-2020)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 30 2020 - 9:39 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Update 7-30-2020

This will be where I am going to record all of my S. pilinasis colonies. I currently have four colonies with a grand total of 22 queens shared between them.

Strumigenys pilinasis (9 queens) *NEW*:

This colony is by far my largest colony in terms of queens, workers, and brood. They have not had any worker deaths as of yet, and appear to be laying lots of eggs as can be seen in the photos:

IMG 7069
IMG 7070

Strumigenys pilinasis (6 queens):

This colony has also been doing well with no deaths since capture (I mistook a worker playing dead when I recorded a death in the other journal), and lots of eggs being layed. This colony has also started to build a wall around their brood pile similar to my S. clypeata colony, but it's nowhere near the size:

IMG 7074
IMG 7081
IMG 7083

Strumigenys pilinasis (4 queens) *NEW*:

This colony is my most recently captured colony with four queens. I actually just got them two days ago when I found them inside of a hickory nut. One of the four queens has one back leg missing, but its likely that she joined the colony after the "founding" period and experienced some aggression:

IMG 7087

Strumigenys pilinasis (3 queens):

This colony had a disaster strike! Ever since their capture, they have had workers dying off almost every single day for no apparent reason, as this was my only Strumigenys colony to have had deaths so far. Today, I finally figured out the reason: Mold! I woke up this morning to their whole brood pile covered in mold as well as a few of the workers (both living and dead). The queens, as well as a few workers, were huddled in a spot away from the mold with a fresh batch of about 12 eggs. I quickly aspirated these seemingly healthy individuals and was forced to euthanize the rest of the colony in the freezer. I sanitized their petri dish and gave them a brand new setup. Hopefully, the mold will go away, but it's probably on either the queens or workers that I aspirated already. No pictures today, sorry.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Antkid12 like this

Spoiler

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:27 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Such a beautiful genus, along with every other dacetine. Fell in love with them since I first found out they existed.

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:46 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Such a beautiful genus, along with every other dacetine. Fell in love with them since I first found out they existed.

I really need to learn more about these kinds of ants, they're so unique! I'm not too knowledgeable on detailed-ant-things like body parts, anatomy, or functions in general, but hopefully I'll learn a lot more about them by keeping them. I'm just lucky to have a diverse area to find them. I may buy a few macro filter attachments so I can get extremely magnified photos of the face for better identification.

Spoiler

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 30 2020 - 10:47 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I had only found them at first by photos under a microscope and I thought they were super ugly. Then I found out how cool they look after looking up normal photos of them.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#5 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:33 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Great pics!

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#6 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:56 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I had only found them at first by photos under a microscope and I thought they were super ugly. Then I found out how cool they look after looking up normal photos of them.

The "ugliest" ants often have the most interesting biology, or are some of the most extreme specialized predators. I honestly find the mere fact that the body is so specifically sculpted to fit a special role to be beautiful.

• TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

#7 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 30 2020 - 6:19 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

What camera do you use?

• CatsnAnts likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#8 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:49 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

What camera do you use?

I use a Canon eos Rebel xsi and the standard lens combined with a reversal ring. I’ll be making a tutorial later today.
  • DDD101DDD likes this

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users