• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ant (?) found above ground in UK in dry heat

queen ant help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steelplant - Posted May 28 2020 - 10:39 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Hi. I wondered whether someone might be able to help me please. 

This afternoon I found what looks to me like a queen ant. She was running along a leaf on a very hot day. There was a large number of black ant workers running around in great excitement. She looked as if she was trying to run away. She appeared to run into my test tube gladly.

I wondered whether her nest had been raided. In the melee I noticed the occasional worker popping into a nest entrance in a plant pot. I had moved the plant pot a few hours earlier, unaware it might have held a nest. The nest would have to be fairly small as I only potted the plant up the other day and was looking out for ants. 

Apologies for the poor photo but it's the best I could do. Is this a queen? Any clue which species? Should I keep her or let her go where I found her? I guess she could be a new parasite queen as they fly at this time of year. I was planning to catch some queens this summer, but haven't kept ants before.

Once I had her safely in a test tube I returned to the pot and all the commotion had died down.IMG_20200528_190937265.jpg

Many thanks for any replies.

#2 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 28 2020 - 10:50 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Yes, from what I can tell, this is a queen.  Unfortunately, we might not be able to get a species ID, or even a genus ID, with this photograph. I know it's the best you had, but do you have any more, or can you take more?

It's definitely from the subfamily Myrmicinae, though. Judging by the mesosoma (the middle part), she looks semi-claustral, which means you have to feed her during her founding stage.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 28 2020 - 10:51 AM.

#3 Offline steelplant - Posted May 28 2020 - 12:09 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Many thanks TheMicroWorld. Very interesting! There were one or two red ants around as well. I managed to take a better photo.

IMG_20200528_204203559.jpg

She still hasn't gone into the test tube with the water and cotton wool, and is sitting in an empty test tube that's taped to it. If she's Myrmica rubra I think they struggle with just one queen. Could/should I combine her with any Myrmica rubra queens I find during the nuptial flights? I'm worried that maybe she has her own nest and was just out hunting when I nabbed her. There was something very strange going on in that plant pot though. A good pack of swarming blacks (presumably Lasius niger).

#4 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted May 28 2020 - 12:12 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

From the outline she appears to be myrmica, I personally couldn't tell you anything more then that 

#5 Offline steelplant - Posted May 28 2020 - 12:39 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Thanks PacificNorthWestern. Crikey I had no idea there were so many Myrmica species in UK. I only had Myrmica rubra in my radar. I guess she's more likely to be rubra as I think they're more common round here. 

There's actually a mature Myrmica (rubra?) colony in my bean patch. Maybe I could grab her some brood? I wasn't planning on taking queens from established nests, but I'm worried about her chances of making it on her own (and with a totally inexperienced keeper). 

On the positive front, we're hatching baby crickets at the moment, so there's plenty of good food for her.

#6 Offline Thunder_Birds - Posted May 28 2020 - 12:50 PM

Thunder_Birds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

It kinda looks like a Pogonomyrmex queen.....

#Ants4Life

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted May 28 2020 - 1:54 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If i had a guess, i would say tetramorium. They are up there, right?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 28 2020 - 3:50 PM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

To me she looks a lot like a Temnothorax species, though she could also be Myrmica.

• VoidElecent, TennesseeAnts and Somethinghmm like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#9 Offline steelplant - Posted May 28 2020 - 4:15 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Thunder_Birds, Ants_Dakota, Ferox Formicae, thanks for your suggestions. I guess it's going to be hard to figure out whether she's claustral or not. 

Ants_Dakota, after your suggestion of Tetramorium I've been watching videos and reading up and everything seems to fit. I guess most likely T. caespitum. Nuptial flights are this time of year, and the shape and colour look the same. From what I've read this would be a good learner species, so that would be helpful. 

Didn't realise ant keeping would be such an adrenaline rush.

#10 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 29 2020 - 2:04 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Looks like Myrmica to me.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#11 Offline steelplant - Posted May 29 2020 - 4:16 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

I've been trying to think back to what was happening when I found her. I think it's possible there was a bunch of very small black ants running around, smaller than Lasius niger (which is what I'm accustomed to seeing), as well as the pack of Lasius niger. I guess this would support her being Tetramorium, but also suggesting maybe that she lost her colony. I didn't see any brood above ground yesterday though. I can't see any of the tiny black ants around today. 

So the question is, even if she's claustral, if she's already used up her wing muscles to raise an original brood, will she need feeding if this is her second colony? She's properly in her test tube now. I could put it in a little tub and offer food nearby the tube? 

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I really want to do the best I can for her.

#12 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 29 2020 - 4:19 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I highly doubt that she's a queen who lost her colony. In all honesty, i've never heard of queen getting separated from their colonies without some kind of outside (usually human) intervention. Judging by the size of her mesosoma, I think she's semi-claustral. However, I don't think at all that this is Tetramorium... the body plan doesn't match up. I think this is some kind of Myrmica.

Some more, clearer pictures would be reeeeaaaally helpful, though.

Just for reference, here's a Tetramorium queen:

450px-Tetramorium_caespitum_queen%2C_Mic

And her's a Myrmica queen:

29716894358_783b7529f9_b.jpg

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 29 2020 - 4:27 AM.

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 29 2020 - 4:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, really doesn't look like Tetramorium to me. The time of year doesn't match up either because UK is a cooler climate than mine, I'd imagine they fly a little later.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 29 2020 - 5:53 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I can't stress the importance of measurement enough when it comes to ID's. This queen could be any myrmicine, but she does not look like Tetramorium. Consider Stenamma spp.Myrmica spp., Aphaenogaster spp., or even Temnothorax, as Ferox_Formicae suggested. Again, some accurate length records or perhaps a photograph of the queen next to a ruler would help a lot.

• ANTdrew likes this

#15 Offline steelplant - Posted May 29 2020 - 6:31 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I got a better photo. It shows her colour better than the others. Unfortunately I hadn't read the need for size/ruler at that point. From memory she's 7-8mm long - I just put her away so don't want to bother her again. She's biting at the cottonwool in the tube end and doesn't look too content. 

It hasn't rained here in ages and the ground is rock hard everywhere. It's been scorching hot and breezy for weeks. I wasn't expecting to find queens until July so nothing much is ready except test tube set up.

Attached Images

• IMG_20200529_151450863.jpg

Edited by steelplant, May 29 2020 - 6:52 AM.

#16 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 29 2020 - 6:35 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Again, my guess lies with Myrmica for now. That or Stenamma.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 29 2020 - 6:45 AM.

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 29 2020 - 7:30 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
What you need is a macro lens, to help you take better photos. These simply are too blurry to narrow it down to even a genus (no offense intended, of course). https://www.amazon.c...-diversity_1_11

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 29 2020 - 8:23 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm pretty sure this is Myrmica. Aphaenogaster are not present in the UK. And Stenamma are really small.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#19 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 29 2020 - 8:24 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Have we considered Myrmecina?

#20 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 29 2020 - 8:30 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Myrmecina are notably smaller and more compact than Myrmica. At 7-8 mm, yeah, I'm leaning towards Myrmica sp. Unfortunately, that's likely as specific we're gonna get even if we had significantly better photos. Remember, Myrmica are semi-claustral, so I recommend attaching a small outworld if you can and regularly supplying small, preferably soft-bodied arthropods to sustain her during the founding stages. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users