• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about keeping species from other states

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 28 2020 - 4:28 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

So I know things like this tend to get, well, heated sometimes, but i'll ask anyway. So let's say, hypothetically, that a nuptial flight in state A spills over into state B. If the species in state A isn't native to state B, can a person in state B legally keep any queens that fly over the border?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2020 - 4:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If a nuptial flight spills over into another state, then wouldn’t the ants be native?
If you’re talking about native species and not harmful invasives, I say don’t ask, don’t tell.
  • AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, VenomousBeast and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 28 2020 - 4:35 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

The reason i'm asking is because Colobopsis (a genus I really admire) are native to New Jersey. So if a Colobopsis queen were to fly across the border, would It be legal for me to keep it?

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and VenomousBeast like this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 28 2020 - 5:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Yes, because you’re not bringing it across state lines. It would’ve got there naturally.
  • ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 28 2020 - 5:51 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I guess that works unless states make specific species illegal to own rather than illegal to transport.

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 28 2020 - 5:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I guess that works unless states make specific species illegal to own rather than illegal to transport.

Though those restrictions do not apply to any ant besides Solenopsis invicta in some states.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 28 2020 - 6:04 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

So what if somebody from Maine drove all the way to California, caught a native queen, drove to the California/Nevada border, let the queen cross the border by herself, then cross the border into Nevada, collect the queen, drive to the Nevada/Utah border, and do the same thing until they get the queen to Maine? tEcHnIcAlLy, the queen crossed the border on her own, so tEcHnIcAlLy, the queen nAtUrAlLy ended up in Maine. (Why someone would take the time and effort to do this, and how someone would manage to keep the queen alive that long, i know not).

• AntsDakota likes this

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 28 2020 - 6:41 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

So what if somebody from Maine drove all the way to California, caught a native queen, drove to the California/Nevada border, let the queen cross the border by herself, then cross the border into Nevada, collect the queen, drive to the Nevada/Utah border, and do the same thing until they get the queen to Maine? tEcHnIcAlLy, the queen crossed the border on her own, so tEcHnIcAlLy, the queen nAtUrAlLy ended up in Maine. (Why someone would take the time and effort to do this, and how someone would manage to keep the queen alive that long, i know not).

I asked this exact question years ago as a joke, but then immediately realized that it could be a real situation. Like ANTdrew said, as long as they are native to the state you're bringing them to and not invasive, don't ask don't tell. No one cares whether or not you found a ridiculous technicality.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and 1 other like this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2020 - 6:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This could become more and more common as our climate warms and the northern limits of species get fuzzier. The northward expansion of native ant species is something I'd love to see more research about.

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 28 2020 - 7:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I’d like to see some more cryptic Ponerinae myself. More Camponotus diversity would also be nice, as well as some Crematogaster.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2020 - 7:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I think rainfall and resulting vegetation is the limiting factor for you guys in terms of Crematogaster, not temperature. Of course, I could be wrong.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 28 2020 - 7:59 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
We do get a decent amount of rain, especially in the spring.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#13 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 4 2020 - 8:25 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
There are crematogaster here in the black hills.
  • AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#14 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:52 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

The only place I've seen Cremas in South Dakota is the black hills.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:17 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Oh, you’ve been here? Also I concur.
  • TennesseeAnts and Ants_Dakota like this

#16 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 5 2020 - 6:48 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Oh, you’ve been here? Also I concur.
I've been all over the country. Last I counted it was 28 states. My favorites were California and Texas. Saw some really cool ants there.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, June 5 2020 - 6:49 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#17 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 7:33 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
The crematogaster here has a dull red head and thorax and a black abdomin.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#18 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 8:48 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

The crematogaster here has a dull red head and thorax and a black abdomin.

Probably cerasi.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users