• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Palo Alto, CA, USA 5/27/20 Monomorium? Tapinoma?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rcbuggy88 - Posted May 27 2020 - 12:56 PM

rcbuggy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

1. Palo Alto, CA, USA 1. 

2. 5/26/20
3. Concrete Slabs
4. 4.5 mm
5. Black head and gaster, orange mesosoma, semi shiny, no visible hairs, not translucent
6. one petiole node, no visible spines, semi-heart shaped head, eyes too small to measure , mandibles too small to see clearly, too small to count antennal segments
7. Found with males and females likely a small nuptial flight. They didn't fly, were just on the ground hopping/flying 1 foot at a time. Flew away in attempts to pick up.
8. N/A

9. sundown after high 80s during the day.
10 . 

More: Guesses are Tapinoma or Monomorium. Smaller than the tetramorium I found that morning.

Edit: Second Photo didn't make it in

Attached Images

• 39F9BBD8-34FA-4E42-9ED5-D0B3F350CD52.jpeg
  • 099BCB57-547D-40F8-8A41-BA79C0FA45C4.jpeg

Edited by rcbuggy88, May 27 2020 - 1:00 PM.

My Shop     :D  :iamsohappy:  :dance3:  :yahoo:

Currently Keeping: Camponotus clarithorax, Camponotus hyatti, Tetramorium immigransNylanderia vividula, Liometopum occidentaleCamponotus modoc, Zootermopsis sp.

Wanted: Acromyrmex versicolor, Myrmecocystus sp., Camponotus us-ca02 (vibrant red not dull orange), Prenolepis imparis, Anything else I don't have lol...

Kept Before: Solenopsis molesta, Prenolepis imparis (still got one, but infertile)

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2020 - 1:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Neither. That looks just like the Nylanderia queen I found last week. Folks say it was N. vividula.
  • VoidElecent, Manitobant and NickAnter like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Aaron567 - Posted May 28 2020 - 11:16 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Definitely a Nylanderia species. North American Nylanderia have microscopic differences, for the most part.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users