• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Wild Novomessor cockerelli Taking out Brood

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Froggy - Posted May 25 2020 - 9:08 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Almost every night when I go outside to look for ants, all the Novomessor cockerelli take out their brood from 9:00-10:00 PM, I'm not sure if they are just taking them out to air them out or if they are doing something else, does anyone know why they are doing this?

4jJEboR.jpgkrtTTid.jpgsA8EFxf.jpg

Edited by Froggy, May 25 2020 - 9:11 PM.

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted May 25 2020 - 11:36 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Perhaps there is a satilite nest nearby that they're relocating some of the brood to. 

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 26 2020 - 3:33 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I was reading about these guys on Antwiki. It says they do this naturally in the wild at 9:pm. 

Edited by Antkid12, May 26 2020 - 3:36 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 26 2020 - 4:56 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Is it all of their brood or only one of the three? In the pictures above, most seem to be carrying pupae but a few are carrying larvae. Strange.

Do you ever see them reentering the nest with brood? Is there a trail that you could follow?

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 26 2020 - 4:58 AM.

#5 Offline Froggy - Posted May 26 2020 - 9:56 AM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

Is it all of their brood or only one of the three? In the pictures above, most seem to be carrying pupae but a few are carrying larvae. Strange.

Do you ever see them reentering the nest with brood? Is there a trail that you could follow?

They aren't any trails that the ants are following, their all just standing outside the nest entrance, most of the time it looks like there's about 100-200 ants out with about half carrying brood, the ones carrying brood, are just standing still in groups, they reenter the nest with the brood after about 15-30 minutes. If the ants are out again tonight I can try study their behavior more.

Edited by Froggy, May 26 2020 - 10:33 AM.

#6 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted May 28 2020 - 9:33 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Do you see them carrying out soil while the brood is out?

Maybe they are cycling the soil of the brood chambers to avoid mold and bacteria growth and I could imagine they don't shift them between chambers to avoid possible cross contamination.

To catch heat from the sun would make sense but not at those hours
  • Froggy likes this

#7 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 28 2020 - 10:00 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

I never did figure out what was going on however it seems to be a very common practice and I have observed the behavior in numerous colonies in many different locations. Although they are often seen carrying the brood they will also lay it on the soil surrounding the nest as we..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users