• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Egg to Larvae?

lasius

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jimmydave937911 - Posted May 24 2020 - 2:54 PM

Jimmydave937911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationUK
Hi all. I have a mixture of 7 Lasius Niger/Flavus queens all caught in the last month. The first queen I caught (Niger) laid eggs probably about 2 weeks ago but I really don’t think I’ve seen much, of any of change to them? Should they not have turned into Larvae by now?

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2020 - 3:03 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

You should see some in a couple days. Are they being heated?

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Jimmydave937911 - Posted May 24 2020 - 3:24 PM

Jimmydave937911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationUK
The are in a drawer which stays about 20 degrees. Is this ok? I do have a 5w heat pad if needed?

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2020 - 3:43 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Maybe put the dry end of the tube on the mat. I think that would be highly beneficial.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 25 2020 - 2:15 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Please let us know how that goes.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 26 2020 - 9:49 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Lasius brood develops painfully slow. Somehow, even being tiny ants, their egg to worker is like, 10 weeks. Eggs can take up to 3 weeks to hatch into larvae, and even then the 1st instar larvae are extremely difficult to tell apart from the eggs, so you may not even notice the larvae until they've been around for like a week.

#7 Offline Jimmydave937911 - Posted May 26 2020 - 11:51 PM

Jimmydave937911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationUK
Thanks guys. I fed them some honey a few days ago which they went mad for and the heat pad is on a steady 24 all day, I only unplug it at night (to simulate day/night temperatures).
I took one pretty bad photo of the queen who laid eggs first, ill try and get a better one when I remove the foil for the honey.
The stuff inside the test tube is dirt, it was my first ever queen I found and thought it would be a good idea 🙄

Attached Images

• 6009E116-78BB-471E-871D-687A961990F9.jpeg

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#8 Offline Serafine - Posted May 27 2020 - 4:22 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Lasius niger has a bit of a slow start but they will grow quite fast once they passed the first 100 workers. Mine made it to 300 (and a ton of brood) in about six months. They can easily grow beyond 1k workers within a year.

• ANTdrew and Jimmydave937911 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users