• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Niger?

id lasius

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jimmydave937911 - Posted May 23 2020 - 10:25 AM

Jimmydave937911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationUK
Hi guys,
Just wanted to confirm that the 7 queens I’ve found are Lasius Niger? I live in UK.
Thanks

Attached Images

• F4951B30-094C-4649-940D-BF668FE40C88.jpeg
  • 24B0EA79-CA8E-4D34-9147-EBFC86522760.jpeg
  • 5FA182F6-17F0-4F32-BFB4-4C838259AAF2.jpeg

#2 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 23 2020 - 12:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Some are flavus and some are niger. The ones with yellow legs are the flavus.

Edited by NickAnter, May 23 2020 - 12:28 PM.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#3 Offline Jimmydave937911 - Posted May 23 2020 - 2:04 PM

Jimmydave937911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationUK
Thanks Nick. I know Flavus are a lot more of a shy species and don’t surface much, do they require any difference with regards to diet/formicarium/moisture etc?

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 23 2020 - 2:13 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Not that I know of.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted May 23 2020 - 4:51 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Thanks Nick. I know Flavus are a lot more of a shy species and don’t surface much, do they require any difference with regards to diet/formicarium/moisture etc?

No, they can live fine in test tubes and any nest suitable for Lasius niger. They prefer dark nests a lot more than Lasius niger though (which doesn't seem to much problems with light).

Lasius flavus grows slower but colonies can become a lot bigger (250k) than those of Lasius niger (50k). Since they are very calm and not aggressive at all they probably won't like live food (unlike Lasius niger which murders almost everything once the colony is big enough).

Edited by Serafine, May 23 2020 - 4:53 PM.

• Jimmydave937911 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id, lasius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users