• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Time-Lapse of Neivamyrmex opacithorax at feeding time.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 18 2020 - 5:11 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

20.5 minutes reduced to 4 min 6 seconds.  This is a video I shot today of the Neivamyrmex opacithorax colony I am currently housing at feeding time. I had prepared 8 grams of Solenopsis invicta brood for them to partake placing it in Container B (there being four containers A, B, C and D).  It starts out slow as they first have to find the food then deal with a few Solenopsis workers but it quickly picks up speed.   The colony is  entering principally from the right from Container A where the queen and their brood are then taking them back to  Container A.  They had already been out foraging all the way to Container D before I put this food-brood out for them, that is why some are coming and going to the left, in the end though they figure it out.   Following scent trails can be confusing, even for a super organism.    Keep in mind these S. invicta brood are mostly reproductive so they are large and not as easily manageable as worker brood.    I used an iPhone XR and  Osmo Pro 3 gimbal to make this video. Enjoy!

Edited by PurdueEntomology, May 18 2020 - 6:02 PM.

• gcsnelling, Vendayn, FeedTheAnts and 6 others like this

#2 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:12 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The cool part for me is you can see their trails dug into the dirt from all the workers traveling. That looks really cool.

Edited by Vendayn, May 18 2020 - 7:12 PM.

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 18 2020 - 7:19 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

The cool part for me is you can see their trails dug into the dirt from all the workers traveling. That looks really cool.

Yes, I stir up the dirt after every morning just to make sure no residual chemical trails are left so when they resume in the evening the space is new for them.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted May 19 2020 - 5:19 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Pardon me for not following, but how long have you had this colony? I had thought you were raising a colony that died, is this a new one, or am I mistaken?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#5 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 19 2020 - 6:22 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Pardon me for not following, but how long have you had this colony? I had thought you were raising a colony that died, is this a new one, or am I mistaken?

Yes, you are correct.  I had initially tried to house a colony in 2018 and had it from July - Nov when the queen expired which led the death of the colony.  This colony was collected on April 18th.  

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users