• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Kael's Ponera Pennsylvanica Journal

ponera ponerine journal

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 16 2020 - 7:04 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

A few days ago I caught a P. pennsylvanicus queen while flipping over rocks. I asked around about what they eat and I was told springtails and fruit flies were their favorite foods. I went out today and caught some springtails to give to her. I dropped one into her container and shortly afterward she found it and grabbed it in her jaws. It was also pretty exciting because she is my first semi-claustral queen to actually eat the food i give her. I hope that she is successful and raises a strong colony. I am very excited to see her survive.

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 16 2020 - 7:21 AM.

• AntsDakota, jushi and Chickalo like this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 16 2020 - 8:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Keep in mind that colonies don’t grow larger than a couple hundred, though.
  • Ants_Dakota and jushi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 16 2020 - 9:38 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Keep in mind that colonies don’t grow larger than a couple hundred, though.

I actually like them for that as it would be easier to manage. My parents also probably wouldn't want a 100,000 ants that might escape into our house.

• Solenoqueen, AntsDakota and jushi like this

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 16 2020 - 9:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Although for me, a thousand or two is an ideal size. More than that is a little hard to manage, and less can be somewhat inactive, depending on species.

• NickAnter and jushi like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 16 2020 - 11:54 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Nylanderia are perfect that way! They tend to max out at about 2,500 workers.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 16 2020 - 2:12 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Nylanderia are perfect that way! They tend to max out at about 2,500 workers.

I've also heard that Aphaenogaster only get to a couple thousand workers as well, and I have A. picea, so that's nice.  :) However, I would also like to have one larger colony, though (other than my Pogonomyrmex, as it's not that terribly difficult to dump a bunch of seeds in their outworld  :lol: ). 

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 19 2020 - 10:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

She seems to be doing all right and looks kind of fat. There is no sign of the springtail I gave her whatsoever. Can these guys eat millipedes? I had a couple millipedes and they laid eggs. So if they can that may be a good feeder.

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 19 2020 - 10:24 AM.

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 19 2020 - 11:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

She seems to be doing all right and looks kind of fat. There is no sign of the springtail I gave her whatsoever. Can these guys eat millipedes? I had a couple millipedes and they laid eggs. So if they can that may be a good feeder.

Nice! Just got a small colony of these. I'm assuming that both our queens will probably take a while to lay eggs, though. 

#9 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 20 2020 - 5:53 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I am going to get some more springtails for her today. Good luck with your colony!

• AntsDakota likes this

#10 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 20 2020 - 7:21 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

This is one species I definitely want to keep someday, even if they're relatively boring. I just love their tube shaped bodies that differ from the norm of ant morphology.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#11 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 21 2020 - 8:41 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I am honestly surprised at how well she is doing. I bet she has eaten a bit of the dubia leg a gave her after I caught her because I don't know if she would have been able to live off of that single springtail I gave her. Maybe once she gets a colony going I can experiment a bit.

• AntsDakota likes this

#12 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 24 2020 - 1:06 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I don't know when or if she laid eggs, but I see what looks to be a large larva in the vial with her. There could also be an egg pile too. I hope it is a larva as it would be awesome to have a worker to help her.

• AntsDakota likes this

#13 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 24 2020 - 1:11 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
Yep, eggs and a larva.
  • Skwiggledork and AntsDakota like this

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 24 2020 - 5:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Still waiting for mine to lay.

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 26 2020 - 7:58 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

I put a new dubia leg in the vial and she started eating it. It looks like she has 1 egg, a tiny larva (basically looks like a bigger egg), and a large larva.

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 26 2020 - 10:12 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Deleted

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 26 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#17 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 26 2020 - 10:14 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
She actually ate quite a bit of that leg.

IMG 0950 (2)
IMG 0950 (2) LI

I'll have to try to get a side view of the larva.

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 26 2020 - 10:16 AM.

• AntsDakota and Froggy like this

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 2 2020 - 5:37 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

If it was for sure a larva (and not springtail remains or something), it was completely and utterly neglected. I only saw her even acknowledge it once, and that was shortly after I saw it for the first time.

• AntsDakota likes this

#19 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 2 2020 - 8:17 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Its a piece of debris  :lol: larvae are c shaped and covered in little hairs. Good luck with her, this species is notoriously hard to raise from a single queen. Feed her some sugars soaked into paper or cotton, and as for now give her dead insect pieces instead of live prey (less energy used simply eating a large piece of food rather than chasing down a tiny thing with little nutrition)I would say to neglect her somewhat, these ants tend to best without any check ups at all. Just feed her and disturb as little as possible. They take a very long time to lay much less advance to larvae (my 5 queen group took a few months to get to 2 eggs, in a naturalistic setup as well) Personally I just think they don't do well in captivity, every single time I've put a "failed" queen into a terrarium a full colony eventually appears.

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 2 2020 - 9:23 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
It is not just a piece of debris. It probably is springtail remains or something. It was c shaped that’s why I wanted a side view picture but I knocked it away after watering the vial a bit. It was also kind of opalescent.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 2 2020 - 9:24 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ponera, ponerine, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users