• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Assessing Humidity and Aeration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadant - Posted May 16 2020 - 2:23 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

How do you guys assess your humidity levels? I'm always on the dryer side. Perhaps I should be on the wetter side of things. I notice in some of the online AC vids (forgive me I just like ant videos) that his nests can be pretty moist. So what keys do you use to know when and how much water to add to your nest? 

For example, Crystals stated that Camponotus novaeboracensis prefer "Mid humidity level of  30-50%" I'm focusing on this colony now of mine. However, I'm just trying to get it right and it's hard to gauge. 

AnthonyP163 states that C. cerasi prefer a "  Recommended Humidity  : 40-50%" Another colony of mine. He also states, "30 - 40%, not too much but they still need some" for Teramorium sp. (I'm raising these gals too. I moved them today and they immediately snuggled up to the cotton in my omni nest.

I also have a Formica neorufibarbis colony on the go - about 25 workers. 

​So how do you gauge humidity percentages?

Also, how about aeration of the formicarium? I actually blew some air into my Camponotus formicarium the other day. Maybe its too stuffy?  Yeah....they didn't like that! lol. But they settled down. I notice a bunch hang out near a plugged entrance. This is an AC nest plug and has holes in it for air to vent through. Just not sure. I hate a stuffy room but then again I'm not an ant. I'm sure some of you may be invasive ant aliens, but I can't prove that.   :D 

So, what say you? What methods do you use and do you air (err, lol) on the side of caution with slightly more damp or slightly less damp? 

Thanks to Crystals and AnthonyP136 for the ant keeping info!

Any information from all is always appreciated!

• Ants_Dakota and jushi like this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

#2 Offline ArmyAntz - Posted May 16 2020 - 2:32 PM

ArmyAntz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

I use a temperature and humidity sensor. For test tubes I just press it as close to the test tube for temperature but there's really no way to get the inside humidity. For nests I place it inside the outworld (the nest should be a lot more humid if there is consistent hydration). 

From what I know the nest shouldn't be regularly aerated? I'm not sure, at least I never keep airflow in the nest, only the outworld. 

#3 Offline jushi - Posted May 16 2020 - 5:37 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I used to have a temperature and humidity sensor (loved that thing) but it unfortunately stopped working. I might pick up a new one soon, but due to current events it might take a while to ship. It's hard to regulate humidity with test tubes, so I like to give the ants a little more room to move around, and based on where they position their brood in that test tube, (right on the moist cotton, in between, by the exit) then I know when, and how much to hydrate them in the future. With nests I just do a bit of experimenting and see what the ants prefer. It also helps to look at care sheets and other resources to see what other ant keepers recommend if you have no idea. Humidity is vital for ants, so the right amount is crucial! I personally don't let airflow in my nests due to eggs drying out and potential stress, but then again it's best to let the ants decide. I prefer to go on the moist side of things at first if I don't know, and then just do what the ants seem to like. I always keep a test tube in their outworld or attached to their nest just in case. This has saved me countless times!

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users