• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My ants are randomly dying

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 12:44 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
So a few days ago I moved my liometopum Occidentale colony into an AAC nest that had been in their outworld (by force since they hadn’t moved into it even after 2 months). I’m seeing dead bodies accumulate within the nest and I don’t know why. I’m worried since I previously had a tetramorium colony that randomly died in that nest as well, but I cleaned it out well before I gave it to my current colony. Any idea why this is happening?
  • jushi likes this

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 15 2020 - 12:57 AM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Many things can cause it.  Bad nest, bad food, bad heat/humidity, etc.  Could also just be stress from moving.

Also, genus name is capitalized and species is lowercase (Liometopum occidentale).

• FSTP and jushi like this

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 15 2020 - 3:39 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

AC stuff is cursed.

Edited by Antkid12, May 15 2020 - 3:40 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 15 2020 - 4:09 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

AC stuff is cursed.

He said AAC, as in Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (or, as it's commonly known, Ytong), not AC, as in Ants Canada. Simple mistake, nothing to worry about.

• jushi likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 15 2020 - 4:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Most ants don’t think these formicariums we make are as wonderful as we humans do. If the colony is doing well in a test tube, I would leave them in there.
  • Temperateants and jushi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 4:54 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Can you further describe your problem?

Unless something with disease or toxins in going on, not much can cause Tetramorium to randomly die. I've lost a tetramorium colony like in your case. I think it is because of dehydration. At first, workers started dying. Then, they stopped taking food. The final sign that something was horribly wrong was when callows started dying. That can all be explained. Workers don't get enough water, they die. Brood is less healthy and the queen stops laying, so food consumption plummets which causes more death. Finally. callows either die because of not enough water or deformities in the pupae stage. I've almost lost another tetramorium colony with the same signs, but I quickly moved them to a new tube and they are eating and doing better than ever.

• jushi likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#7 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:16 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Unless something with disease or toxins in going on, not much can cause Tetramorium to randomly die. I've lost a tetramorium colony like in your case. I think it is because of dehydration. At first, workers started dying. Then, they stopped taking food. The final sign that something was horribly wrong was when callows started dying. That can all be explained. Workers don't get enough water, they die. Brood is less healthy and the queen stops laying, so food consumption plummets which causes more death. Finally. callows either die because of not enough water or deformities in the pupae stage. I've almost lost another tetramorium colony with the same signs, but I quickly moved them to a new tube and they are eating and doing better than ever.

The testing that they were previously in didn’t contain moisture, as it’s water supply had ran out a while ago but they seemed to be doing fine since they had sugar water to drink. When the tetramorium were in the nest, I would hydrate it regularly and the only possible thing I could think of for them dying randomly was some bacteria in the sand I gave them. But I completely cleaned out the tank and put sterile soil in there for the Liometopum. The only thing that changed was them moving into the nest (which I hydrated).

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I had a similar problem with a homemade nest I got. First I moved a Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony into it, and they mysteriously died. Then I moved a Prenolepis imparis colony into it as well (after a thorough cleaning of course), and they also died. So my conclusion is that there's something about that nest.......

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:22 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Literally 50 of them died within 2 days of being in the nest.

#10 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:24 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

The testing that they were previously in didn’t contain moisture, as it’s water supply had ran out a while ago but they seemed to be doing fine since they had sugar water to drink. When the tetramorium were in the nest, I would hydrate it regularly and the only possible thing I could think of for them dying randomly was some bacteria in the sand I gave them. But I completely cleaned out the tank and put sterile soil in there for the Liometopum. The only thing that changed was them moving into the nest (which I hydrated).

There's your problem. Brood needs ACTUAL moisture. The ants need pure water, not just sugar water. For test tubes, I've always moved Camponotous by force from one test tube to another with no adverse effects, since each test tube has the same conditions, but there is no doubt something wrong with the nest if they didn't like it enough to move into it naturally. And what is the tank? Is it an outworld? Can you fully describe your setup?

#11 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:26 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
It’s an outworld all in one formicarium with an AAC nest buried about halfway into the sterile soil. I supply them with freeze dried crickets that I let soak in water for a while to soften them up. The thing that confused me is that the tetramorium moved willingly into the nest.

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:27 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

tetramorium moved willingly into the nest.

Tetramorium will move into anything.

• jushi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#13 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:30 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

How much moisture did you give them? Did you give them enough heat, or too much? How did the ants die?

#14 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:31 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
The test tube that they were in just 2 days ago has very little moisture, if not any. They were doing fine in that, so why would just 2 days in the new nest kill off so many? I just hydrated it a few minutes ago to be safe, but could it all be from stress?

#15 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:32 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

How much moisture did you give them? Did you give them enough heat, or too much? How did the ants die?

If I knew how they died I wouldn’t be asking lol. But the only variable that changed was the nest and me moving them forcefully. But so many dying so fast?

#16 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:34 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Tetramorium aren't stressed out very easily. When I moved my tetramorium colony that was starting to dehydrate, the benefits were almost immediate, as the worker deaths stopped and the brood looked healthier. The only thing I can think of is the ants are dying from something in the AAC. Where did you get it? And how did the ants die? (please answer this question in detail)

#17 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:35 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Tetramorium aren't stressed out very easily. When I moved my tetramorium colony that was starting to dehydrate, the benefits were almost immediate, as the worker deaths stopped and the brood looked healthier. The only thing I can think of is the ants are dying from something in the AAC. Where did you get it? And how did the ants die? (please answer this question in detail)

I mean what is the nature of the death. Did the ants curl up, where the corpses cannibalized, did they freak out and go into unnatural positions? 

#18 Offline Alacom - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:38 AM

Alacom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

I mean what is the nature of the death. Did the ants curl up, where the corpses cannibalized, did they freak out and go into unnatural positions?

Oh that’s what you mean. I got the AAC from amazon, and the tetramorium were able to thrive within it for around a month. In both cases the ants died by curling up. It literally seems like they’re dying by the minute.
  • jushi likes this

#19 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:39 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

could it all be from stress?

Probably not. I've dumped lots of colonies of various species. They've all done fine.

#20 Offline Temperateants - Posted May 15 2020 - 5:40 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

How large is a colony? Tetramorium sometimes have small die-offs, but if you feed them a lot they should have a steady supply of new workers. If the ants were freaking out and when they curled up and were obviously in agony, that might be a sign of nerve damage and toxins. A test you could do is storing some of the workers in a clean test tube setup and see how they react.

(then you'd know if something is wrong with the nest)

Edited by Temperateants, May 15 2020 - 5:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users