• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Brachymyrmex patagonicus Journal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 13 2020 - 2:54 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I caught these queens on April 27th in an enormous nuptial flight, and placed 8 queens together. The assumingly infile queens were slaughtered, leaving the tube with 5 queens. They immediately laid eggs, about 45 of them. It has developed at about the speed of Lasius, and only now do I see some tiny larvae. I'm mainly interested in this species to use as lab rats for formicariums, as they are invasive, so they are expendable, and small so if they can't escape, nothing can escape. I probably won't update these as much as my other colonies' journals. As soon as these get 20 workers, if they do, I will move them into a Formicarium I have designed specifically for Brachymyrex, and other small ants.

Edited by NickAnter, May 13 2020 - 2:56 PM.

• AntsDakota and jushi like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 2:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I love this species. Saw them all the time in Arizona.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 13 2020 - 2:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Oh, I don't like them like I do my Nylanderia, but, they will be nice to do experiments on.
  • AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 3:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I don't know........ there's something about me that tends to appreciate the unappreciated (in ants, and with anything in life).

• jushi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline M_Ants - Posted May 13 2020 - 5:20 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Oh, I don't like them like I do my Nylanderia, but, they will be nice to do experiments on.

Same. Great for testing new ideas without worrying if they'll succeed.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 13 2020 - 6:10 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yeah. I would use S. molesta, but they seem to be a little tricky, and they are native.

• AntsDakota and jushi like this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 6:35 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah. I would use S. molesta, but they seem to be a little tricky, and they are native.

Believe me- Solenopsis molesta are not tricky.
  • jushi likes this

#8 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 13 2020 - 6:37 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Hmm. Well, I suppose getting a fertile one to workers is easy, but having them not drown themselves is extremely difficult.

• jushi likes this

#9 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 17 2020 - 10:05 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They are doing very well, all of their eggs are larvae now. They are used to being checked up upon now, which is nice. Hopefully they will get workers in a couple weeks. When they get more than a few workers I am going to move hem into a formicarium, because the workers will be impossible to feed in just a test tube without an outworld; they are super fast, and tiny.

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 26 2020 - 6:40 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Here is a video I made on them. Sorry for the formatting. As you can see, they have a pupa and many larvae.

• AntsDakota likes this

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 27 2020 - 4:19 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
That’s one tiny pupa........ (I know I shouldn’t be surprised, as I’ve seen them in AZ before, but anyways......)

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 6 2020 - 8:26 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

DFouHvRjjO3mCpvOzKTgv2lR7GyEl7HzpZ5e2pQ-They have a worker! Only 1mm!

Edited by NickAnter, June 6 2020 - 8:28 AM.

• FeedTheAnts likes this

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2020 - 8:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Awwww
  • NickAnter likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users