• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Giant ytong block

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steam_funk - Posted May 13 2020 - 10:10 AM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

I have a 4 x 8 x 12 block of ytong. My brother owns a cnc and we both have access to CAD software. If it machine cut the ytong and a glass plate would it be secure enough to hold fire ants or pheidole.

#2 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 13 2020 - 10:43 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

as long as you secure down the glass with epoxy or some other nontoxic adhesive, then yeah, it'll make a nice formicarium. As for what it will contain, Pheidole are known to do excellently in ytong nests, but Solenopsis are capable of chewing through the ytong, destroying it and potentially escaping, so I wouldn't recommend using a ytong nest for them

• DinoH likes this

#3 Offline steam_funk - Posted May 13 2020 - 11:16 AM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

My pheidole have one ants australia medium nest and one ant tower they settled in. They won't move to the ytong nest no matter what I do. Will they move in if there is new space?

as long as you secure down the glass with epoxy or some other nontoxic adhesive, then yeah, it'll make a nice formicarium. As for what it will contain, Pheidole are known to do excellently in ytong nests, but Solenopsis are capable of chewing through the ytong, destroying it and potentially escaping, so I wouldn't recommend using a ytong nest for them

#4 Offline Formiga - Posted August 8 2023 - 6:17 PM

Formiga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Pheidole are known to do excellently in ytong nests, but Solenopsis are capable of chewing through the ytong, destroying it and potentially escaping, so I wouldn't recommend using a ytong nest for them

What about Pheidole pallidula, will they chew the ytong?

I'm in the process of deciding what formicarium to build / buy for my Pheidole pallidula and, apart of not giving them tiny holes where they can escape from, it also has to be nom nom proof.

Not sure about what exact kind of Pheidole they are, but the ones I have on my garden have chewed through my brick and cement house and infested it several times, so ytong...

Or Paris plaster, would that work out or just be something they can sharpen their mandibles on? It can be mixed with different proportions of water to make it harder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users