• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline jushi - Posted May 7 2020 - 1:56 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Hello! Just wondering when to catch T. Sessile queens/how to care for them! My whole backyard is covered in a super colony of these guys and I'm eager to get a colony of my own started! I love keeping "pest" ants because colonies are extremely easy to care for. I couldn't find any info on YouTube or these forums, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! :)

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile (founding) x3
Tapinoma Sessile x1
Camponotus Pennsyvanicus x2
Prenolepis Imparis (founding) x2
Myrmecina Americana (founding) x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#2 Offline Antkid12 - Posted May 7 2020 - 5:11 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I have a 2 queen colony of these guys, and they are fairly easy to keep, except for the part that they are escape artists. Just feed them sweet liquids and crushed liquids. Another cool thing about these guys is that they can inbreed! so you can have many, many, queens if you keep them for a long time.

• AntsMaryland, Temperateants and jushi like this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 5:30 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Hello! Just wondering when to catch T. Sessile queens/how to care for them! My whole backyard is covered in a super colony of these guys and I'm eager to get a colony of my own started! I love keeping "pest" ants because colonies are extremely easy to care for. I couldn't find any info on YouTube or these forums, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! :)

I would dig up a nest. They are known to have nuptial flights sometimes, but they usually bud, meaning colonies will split up into new ones. If you found one queen, that would be more than enough to found a large supercolony.
  • AntsMaryland, CheetoLord02, jushi and 1 other like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted May 7 2020 - 5:41 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

I have a roughly 20 queen colony of these guys. Make sure to feed them a large variety of sweets and some protein every once in awhile. 

• jushi likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 7 2020 - 6:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just look under rocks and logs, and you’re bound to find many, many queens. I have them invading my house all the time, so I have no interest in keeping them.
  • TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and jushi like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 8 2020 - 5:00 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
They are invading my house as well, although that is only one of two colonies I’ve ever seen around here, so I am interested in keeping them.
  • jushi likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#7 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 8 2020 - 2:11 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

Depending on your geographic location, usually in leaf litter in a sunny location you will find colonies now.  Just have a  fluon-lined tray and scoop up the leaves and dump into tray.  If you have an aspirator use that to collect gyne/gynes and then get the workers you want with brood.  Right now most colonies will have both reproductive and worker brood.  I use a fluon-lined tray to collect them, I do am studying them for my masters.  Actually a fluon -lined tray works great to collect all kinds of  species if you go that root as you can place pieces of wood, soil etc in them, sort through without ants escaping.  using an aspirator works great but with Tapinoma  sessile they release volatiles and you will breath them in so it could be discomforting.

• AntsMaryland and jushi like this

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted May 8 2020 - 2:54 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

In my backyard I also have a massive colony of the polygynous variety. Earlier in the year, sometime in Early April, I set out stones in my mulched area that gets a lot of sun. Yesterday I checked them and could of got thousands of queens and many thousands of workers, haha. That's probably the best strategy you could use right now. All you need to do is simply scoop em up, use fluon to contain them like PurdueEntomology also suggested, and let the material dry out over the course of a few days or a week so that they're forced to move into some kind of artificial setup. 

• ANTdrew and jushi like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 8 2020 - 3:06 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

In my backyard I also have a massive colony of the polygynous variety. Earlier in the year, sometime in Early April, I set out stones in my mulched area that gets a lot of sun. Yesterday I checked them and could of got thousands of queens and many thousands of workers, haha. That's probably the best strategy you could use right now. All you need to do is simply scoop em up, use fluon to contain them like PurdueEntomology also suggested, and let the material dry out over the course of a few days or a week so that they're forced to move into some kind of artificial setup. 

Yes, T. sessile will definitely move into tubes with cotton/water after a few days if leaf litter dries out.

• jushi likes this

#10 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted May 8 2020 - 4:28 PM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

There is a giant polygynous colony of Tapinoma sessile in my backyard, and they love to congregate against a flowerbed that is up against my house. On a sunny day, I just scoops up a big chunk of that dirt that I saw them making trails out of… and caught a ton of them. And walaa – now I have my prisoners… I mean pet colony...

• AntsDakota and jushi like this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

#11 Offline jushi - Posted May 11 2020 - 8:17 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

I might actually dig up a colony of these guys. They're invasive where I live and they are constantly out competing other native ants, so I'm not very worried about that. I've heard they make shallow nests like Linepithema humile. I'll let you know how it goes!

• AntsDakota likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#12 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 11 2020 - 8:18 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I might actually dig up a colony of these guys. They're invasive where I live and they are constantly out competing other native ants, so I'm not very worried about that. I've heard they make shallow nests like Linepithema humile. I'll let you know how it goes!

Well, Tapinoma sessile are actually natives across North America. Any competition you're seeing should be natural.

#13 Offline jushi - Posted May 11 2020 - 8:21 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Well, Tapinoma sessile are actually natives across North America. Any competition you're seeing should be natural.

Sorry wrong choice of words I think. Better way to put it would be incredibly prolific, not invasive :)

• AntsDakota likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#14 Offline jushi - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:51 AM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Just dug up a small colony of them. They are currently in a bin with an escape proof barrier. I've seen the ants cross it though, so I'm a bit worried. There is an Ants Aus nest in the bin and I'm hoping any queens or workers will move in! I checked up on them this morning, and they are currently nesting under a slab of dirt and grass. I'm hoping they move in soon. I'm a bit worried I dug up a satellite nest, but fingers crossed.

• AntsDakota likes this
KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#15 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:57 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I would assume even some satellite nests would contain queens.

• jushi likes this

#16 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:20 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

I would assume even some satellite nests would contain queens.

That is not necessarily the case with T. sessile.  

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I said some, not all.

#18 Offline steam_funk - Posted May 12 2020 - 3:48 PM

steam_funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLakeland, Florida, USA

I have caught 5 queens. They seem to prefer to fly in late evening to nighttime they also flew more when it was humid.

• jushi likes this

#19 Offline jushi - Posted May 13 2020 - 4:22 PM

jushi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

UPDATE: 

They are still nesting under the soil I caught them in! They have made tunnels and chambers and have been really hard at work! I still don't know if they have a queen in the colony yet, and I haven't seen any signs that there even is one. I also caught what could either be a T. Sessile queen or a Lasius Umbratus queen. Figuring I have nothing to lose here since I'm pretty sure they don't have a queen, I placed her in the setup. I checked up on them a few times since, and found her wandering around their nest, and I eventually saw her find the nest entrance. A few workers noticed her and seemed a bit distressed. Fingers crossed they accept her! If these ants really don't have a queen they might accept her as a queen from one of the neighboring colonies. If it is a social parasite, I've actually seen Tapinoma Sessile become hosts so this should work as well. In a week or so, the soil should dry out and they should move into the Ants Aus nest I put in for them. That should give me a good look at how many I actually captured. 

I will be making a journal on these guys, so stay tuned!

KEEPER OF:

Tapinoma Sessile x1
Myrmecina Americana x1

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 13 2020 - 4:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Post an ID request for the queen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tapinoma, sessile, nuptial, flights, flight, nuptial flights, nuptial flight, nuptialflight, nuptialflights, tapinoma sessile, tapinomasessile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users