• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mercury Vapor Lights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 2 2020 - 6:05 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Has anyone used these before?  I know they work well for a variety of insects, but I haven't heard much about using them for ants.

I saw some people have talked about them in the past here, but I'm curious about ant results.

Edited by Zeiss, May 2 2020 - 6:11 PM.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 2 2020 - 6:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Mercury vapor lamps are by far the best light source for attracting insects. My setup consists of a mercury vapor bulb combined with a blacklight, and it is really effective for drawing in queens. I've caught many pheidole and brachymyrmex while on vacation in Florida with this setup.

#3 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 5 2020 - 11:26 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Is there a specific brand or type of mercury vapor that's easy to work with?  What type of power source will I need out in the field?

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 6 2020 - 7:12 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Is there a specific brand or type of mercury vapor that's easy to work with?  What type of power source will I need out in the field?

leptraps.com is probably the best place to get mercury vapor bulbs though you can find them at pet stores as well where they are used for heating reptiles. You can use an extension cord coming from a house though if you're in the middle of a field you'll need a car battery or generator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users