• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where Can You Collect Driftwood/Rock W/O Permit In Socal

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline zantezaint - Posted April 30 2020 - 6:52 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

I've looked everywhere, but everywhere I go, it seems to be a private land, a county park, a state park, a preserve, or a reservation. Is there anywhere I can legally collect driftwood or stone without a permit in Southern California?

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#2 Offline FSTP - Posted April 30 2020 - 7:55 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I don't have an exact answer for you but have you tried asking permission from the private land owners? I've had quite a bit of luck doing that up here in central cali. 

• Martialis, TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and 1 other like this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 1 2020 - 3:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I guess CA may be a lot stricter on this than where I live, but isn’t more of a don’t ask, don’t tell kind of thing?
  • zantezaint likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 1 2020 - 7:25 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

You are probably right. Cali is way too strict. I can't blame the government though, we have 40 million people living in this state, versus Virginia with 8.5 million. If people just took what they want, natural resources would be depleted. Yeah, the "don't ask don't tell," is what I thought so too. I will have to give phone calls to private land owners a try.

Edited by zantezaint, May 1 2020 - 7:26 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 1 2020 - 7:56 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Here in SoDak, there are less than a million people, meaning we can fill the back of a truck up with wood and bring it home, and no one (the government, that is) would care. Passerbys might wonder, though............ 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 1 2020 - 2:25 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I've looked everywhere, but everywhere I go, it seems to be a private land, a county park, a state park, a preserve, or a reservation. Is there anywhere I can legally collect driftwood or stone without a permit in Southern California?

Usually not in federal parks, state parks, or county parks.  If you have a county beach, city beach, or BLM land it's usually ok.

• Martialis likes this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#7 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 1 2020 - 2:26 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It seems like a petty crime, but it can be painful if you get caught and catch a case.  it's not worth it, there are plenty of places where you can collect legally.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#8 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 1 2020 - 5:41 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

There are tons of places to collect in CA. We have miles and miles of National Forest and BLM land where it's perfectly legal.

• BugFinder likes this

#9 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 1 2020 - 10:46 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

There are tons of places to collect in CA. We have miles and miles of National Forest and BLM land where it's perfectly legal.

I don't know about Angeles National Forest, but Cleveland National forest requires a permit that requires 8 months in advance to get in order to recreationally collect legally.

#10 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted May 1 2020 - 11:57 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

More on this, how do you know which specific areas within National or BLM land require collecting permits and which don't?

:>

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 2 2020 - 4:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't know about Angeles National Forest, but Cleveland National forest requires a permit that requires 8 months in advance to get in order to recreationally collect legally.

Source please.

#12 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 3 2020 - 2:49 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Source please.

Sorry, it was 8 weeks in advance.

https://www.fs.usda....stelprdb5214085

I also sent them an email almost 2 weeks ago on where I can get the forest product permit, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Edited by zantezaint, May 3 2020 - 2:54 PM.

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 3 2020 - 7:14 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Source please.

Sorry, it was 8 weeks in advance.

https://www.fs.usda....stelprdb5214085

I also sent them an email almost 2 weeks ago on where I can get the forest product permit, but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Oh I see you're talking about plant "forest products" specifically. Well, I have read in a number of places that the laws are so poorly written and confusing for collecting insects, that eventually, after receiving so many emails from people, some top USFS official put out a memo making it very clear what the differences are between recreational collecting and special use collecting, and that recreational collecting does not require a permit. Looking at that page, it is not clear which kind of noncommercial collecting they are referring to, because it's not even specified. The bullet point that says "No commercial collecting allowed. For all requests, include a copy of the study design, list of requested species, quantities, and a map of proposed collecting locations." doesn't even make sense. The second part of that I assume was supposed to be a separate bullet point, because why in the world would they go into detail about the requests if it's not allowed at all. Assuming that it is just further discussion about noncommercial collecting, it sure looks to me like they are referring to special use collecting.

Either way, right below all of that, it looks like firewood collecting permits are completely waived until May 15th, so just plan on using your drift wood to keep you warm, and maybe change your mind later. :)

• BugFinder, Martialis and zantezaint like this

#14 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:32 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

It says that for special use:

• If you will need to occupy, use or build on Forest Service land for personal or business purposes, whether the duration is temporary or long term.
  • If there is a fee being charged or if income is derived from the use.
  • If an activity on those lands land involve individuals or organization with 75 or more participants or spectators.

I don't think if I collect for terrariums or vivariums, I wouldn't need the special use. It seems like I do need the recreational permit for collecting though, but I am sure most people get away with collecting without a permit. Not knowing the fine amount or even facing jail time is a scary thought though.

#15 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 4 2020 - 7:52 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It says that for special use:

• If you will need to occupy, use or build on Forest Service land for personal or business purposes, whether the duration is temporary or long term.
  • If there is a fee being charged or if income is derived from the use.
  • If an activity on those lands land involve individuals or organization with 75 or more participants or spectators.

I don't think if I collect for terrariums or vivariums, I wouldn't need the special use. It seems like I do need the recreational permit for collecting though, but I am sure most people get away with collecting without a permit. Not knowing the fine amount or even facing jail time is a scary thought though.

I don't think it would be jail time.  Just a misdemeanor conviction (depending on how much of it they catch you with) and a fine.  The fines can be pretty punishing.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 4 2020 - 9:30 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I don't see anything about needing a "recreational permit" to collect. Are you talking about an Adventure Pass? Those are basically parking permits that they tried to force people to buy in order to park in the National Forest, until someone filed a lawsuit and won. Now they can only require one if you use any bathrooms, trashcans or picnic tables. If I remember right, the fine is the price of a one day pass.

#17 Offline zantezaint - Posted May 5 2020 - 12:20 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I see what you mean Drew. So driftwood normally requires a permit but not until the May 15th because of the situation, and plants require the botanical collecting permit, but rocks are free for all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users