• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Salutations and salutes to everyone here

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 30 2020 - 10:54 AM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Hello everyone, just wanted to share quickly my story with y'all and thank you.

So, when I first found out ant keeping was even a thing, I'm Canadian and rather patriotic person, so I went with supporting the Canadian route, or so I thought at the time lol. Really, as I know now, there is nothing Canadian about the company from start to finish except the name and the fact he lived in Toronto. Anyways I wanted in at that time so I decided to start checking out the AC forum for more in depth info. It was confusing as hell and unorganized, so many posts were useless, vague information, childish ranting, all mixed in with some good info. I would either post a topic and it would always skew off and someone else would end up taking over the thread with their question/argument; or I would get lost in useless garble and not really get it.

Completely gave up for awhile on the idea, but eventually caved and bough an AC nest. Tried logging back in to AC forum and account was shut down, so I went to re register and couldn't use my email. Whatever, so I used another email to register and was told no account gets approved without admin acceptance... Okay fair enough, never got no acceptance email. Still could not login or re register. This is when i said F**K it and found somewhere else.

And this is when I found formiculture! This place is better organized, better moderated, to the point, and... (unless its politics) usually any disagreements end up civil. :lol:  Everyone around here is nice and helpful and doesn't just wanna showboat and promote their stuff. Since I joined this forum the amount of knowledge I have gained (and the amount of "knowledge" I've had to forget lol) about keeping ants is ridiculous. %) And I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone here for the knowledge y'all have and share. Now there is enough AC bashing on this forum lol, but I regret buying the nest I did, figured I would give it a shot considering the hybrid nest isn't supremely overpriced like a lot of things he has. 130 bucks for some test tubes and a couple of plastic squares lol. In the end I regretted it. I will say he does get a lot of people into the hobby I guess with his channel, but he is a showboating selfish dingleberry who is only in it for profit and self gain. He targets parents whose kids will beg until they fork out the 130 bucks. I also got double charged for the nest I bought from him, still in dispute with pay-pal, both of us waiting for an answer. Just.... everyone.... please don't think that's what Canadians are like. :facepalm: And thanks again for all your spare time and the experiences you share!

Cheers! (y)

Edited by ADHTCIAD, April 30 2020 - 10:59 AM.

• BugFinder, AnthonyP163, Nathant2131 and 5 others like this

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 30 2020 - 11:15 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
AC is an egotistical celebrity (look up mikey bustos) who only cares about money. If you are looking for a good antkeeping store in Canada, try the ant collective and Canada ant colony.
  • BugFinder, AntsDakota and ADHTCIAD like this

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 11:21 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

So, when I first found out ant keeping was even a thing, I'm Canadian and rather patriotic person

Just.... everyone.... please don't think that's what Canadians are like. :facepalm:

I feel the same way about my state, South Dakota. And I'm telling you: I would feel the exact same way if AC was from SD. Talk about humiliation..........

• BugFinder likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 30 2020 - 11:23 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I feel the exact opposite about California. I belong in somewhere like Texas lol.

• BugFinder, TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 11:23 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

AC is an egotistical celebrity (look up mikey bustos) who only cares about money. If you are looking for a good antkeeping store in Canada, try the ant collective and Canada ant colony.

I was looking at the Ant Collective's shop, and found this:

Shop | The Ant Collective

Either they just inserted a random image, or they're really bad at identification. If the photo isn't some sort of Pogonomyrmex, my name isn't AntsDakota.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 30 2020 - 11:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Your name isn't AnsDakota then. That's a Myrmica species.

Edited by NickAnter, April 30 2020 - 11:27 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and Manitobant like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 30 2020 - 11:31 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Either they just inserted a random image, or they're really bad at identification. If the photo isn't some sort of Pogonomyrmex, my name isn't AntsDakota.

Yeah, your name isn't AntsDakota. That's Myrmica.

• Manitobant likes this

#8 Offline ADHTCIAD - Posted April 30 2020 - 2:18 PM

ADHTCIAD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yea it is rather humiliating. And I made an order with Canada ant colony too, customer service was top notch! And the product too. My tetra's are doing great! And so many of you have amazing products as well, it makes it difficult to decide what to buy when i get my next species lol.

• AntsDakota likes this

What do you get if you cross some ants with some ticks...?

All sorts of antics!! ... :lol:

Okay, I'll leave. That's the ant-ire joke anyways.

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 30 2020 - 2:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Really? That gaster pubescence looks just like Pogonomyrmex..........

#10 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 30 2020 - 3:37 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Really? That gaster pubescence looks just like Pogonomyrmex..........
its definitely myrmica. I sold that queen to my friend who is TAC's supplier

#11 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 30 2020 - 4:37 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yeah, Pogonomyrmex are much more bulky than that.

#12 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 1 2020 - 2:37 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

please don't think that's what Canadians are like. :facepalm:

That fellow is not a good representative of Candadians, or of Filipinos.   He's not a good dude, but Canadadians and Filipinos are both among the nicest peopel I've ever met.

• TennesseeAnts and ADHTCIAD like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#13 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 1 2020 - 2:40 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I woudn't call him a celebrity....   More of a youtube personality.  He is very talented at making good quality videos, and his narrating is really appealing to young kids, but that;s about all I could give him credit for.  Everything else is garbage.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users