• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

I'm gonna take a week off the forum and internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Online Vendayn - Posted April 25 2020 - 10:04 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

The constant news, my thread gets derailed with useless garbage (I'll give the doubt that I should have said city block, not just block, cause three city blocks is vastly different than some small neighborhood blocks if that was what people thought), then someone I won't name wants everyone to kill themselves with bleach and (some) people will likely listen really pushed me over the edge. So I won't be on for at least a week, and won't even look at the news the entire time. Being told to die by drinking bleach just was too much for me. And then that same person making fun of disabled people like me just didn't help. So I decided to take a surprise (well he knows about it but was quick notice) trip to my friends place down south so I avoid all the news and BS. Hopefully I'll have a fresh mind when I get back, I'll just have to avoid the news but me and him always do when I'm over anyway. 

And luckily this is about the time I got Veromessor andrei down there, so maybe I'll get a new colony of them again :)

• ANTdrew, Somethinghmm and AntsExodus like this

#2 Online Vendayn - Posted April 25 2020 - 10:06 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Whoops I meant to put this in off topic, dunno why it put it here

#3 Offline BugFinder - Posted April 25 2020 - 10:25 AM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Be well.  And when you do come back to the internet, strive to be "anti-fragile".  We should all be striving for that.  I wish you well and hope you enjoy your time and come back refreshed.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#4 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 25 2020 - 10:48 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationVirginia

:bye:

Colonies:                                                                      

Crematogaster ashmeadi -- 3000 workers ESCAPED  :*(                                                    I just put my ants in hibernation(some)  :) 

Camponotus chromaiodes -- 75 workers KILLED BY ^

Formica pallidefulva -- 80 workers                

Pheidole sp -- 1 queen - 9 workers(why did a lot die... who knows?)      

Tetramorium sp -- 12 workers

New Colonies! (Queens collected from founding chambers) Camponotus subbarabatus (1 worker) and Camponotus castaneus (5 workers and more on the way)

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted April 25 2020 - 11:13 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationGermany

Have some nice relacing holidays. :)

Occasionally ignoring the public internet for a few days (to do something with your family, play games, build formicaria, etc.) is generally a good idea.

• BugFinder, Ant_Dude2908 and Froggy like this
We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Join the antkeeping discord chat! & reddit - r/antkeeping

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#6 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 25 2020 - 11:25 AM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Hey! No internet means good sleep. You could try some new hobbies, like lucid dreaming. I have been practicing lucid related skills, but I haven't actually got an LD yet.

• FeedTheAnts, AntsDakota and AntsExodus like this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 25 2020 - 11:28 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've had a few lucid dreams before. Also, I also try not to be online (or do anything on the computer) late at night. I got on at about ten, and didn't go to sleep for an hour or two last night. I believe electronics stimulate the mind, making sleep more difficult.

• BugFinder, Temperateants and ADHTCIAD like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Join our fledgling but growing AntsDakota Discord community! https://discord.gg/vkwjYzz

We're also excited about our new rising franchise: AntsDakota.com

#8 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 25 2020 - 11:52 AM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Hey! No internet means good sleep. You could try some new hobbies, like lucid dreaming. I have been practicing lucid related skills, but I haven't actually got an LD yet.

Wow, this is really random. Lucid dreaming happens to be one of my biggest interests.

• BugFinder, Temperateants and AntsExodus like this

Colonies:                                                                      

Crematogaster ashmeadi -- 3000 workers ESCAPED  :*(                                                    I just put my ants in hibernation(some)  :) 

Camponotus chromaiodes -- 75 workers KILLED BY ^

Formica pallidefulva -- 80 workers                

Pheidole sp -- 1 queen - 9 workers(why did a lot die... who knows?)      

Tetramorium sp -- 12 workers

New Colonies! (Queens collected from founding chambers) Camponotus subbarabatus (1 worker) and Camponotus castaneus (5 workers and more on the way)

#9 Offline T.C. - Posted April 26 2020 - 12:20 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • LocationWestern Wisconsin

Don't blame you, kinda recommend it. 

#10 Online Vendayn - Posted April 26 2020 - 9:11 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

I had to come back due to a family health emergency, which I said in chat but rather not have it be on a public forum. But it was a nice rather short vacation. All day besides logging on once, no news, nothing even related to the news outside weather, and me and my friend had an awesome time. I did show him the posts I made and he gave me a good talking to and a much deserved smack on the head, it was pretty uncalled for and I really do apologize. In the future, I will just completely ignore the post or if it really gets too much I'll block the person but I've never really had to do that. Like my friend pointed out, if I ignored the post and just kept posting the same things it could all been avoided with no stress or anger and it was in fact "I" who derailed my own thread by responding to it, then further going on and on about it. And in the end no one would have cared or kept talking about what I included in my post unless it was illegal content or broke the rules.

Besides that.

I also came back with a ten queen Veromessor andrei colony :) I added lots of workers for them. Last year I had a bunch of queens (forgot how many), not as many workers, and they lived for half a year until Argentine ants killed them. They are a poly variety over there where my friend is. And the best part is they are accepting of workers, so I can get an easy boost to the colony. I'm keeping them in the garage like I used to keep my ants, since never had an ant problem in the garage like everywhere else here.

Though with that said, I'm still mostly gonna be taking a break rest of the week till friday. Going to give a loved one as much support I can. I'm not gonna be on too much, just hop on to say hi and maybe post one or two things. And I'm definitely avoiding the news, and probably just avoid it in general going into the future, the amount I was viewing got a bit much.

Edited by Vendayn, April 26 2020 - 9:57 PM.

• GeorgeK and OhNoNotAgain like this

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 27 2020 - 3:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,226 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
All good, Vendayn. I for one, hold nothing against you, and I’m glad you got a really cool new colony. Everyone is stressed all to hell right now, so tempers will flair and mistakes will be made. Just live and learn and be patient with eachother.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25   I <3 tiny ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users