• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I need some help finding any non-hibernating Camponotus.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants-Irvine - Posted April 24 2020 - 5:38 PM

Ants-Irvine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIrvine CA

Hello, so I am young, meaning opportunities to go on little trips to find queens don't come often. I have already tried going into the hills twice without any success. I live in Irvine hence the name, and I noticed the temperature today was surprisingly high. Any tips would be appreciated.

• M_Ants likes this

#2 Offline JenC - Posted April 24 2020 - 6:07 PM

JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California
Go to parks with lots of trees. The ones that arent affected by humans are much better for anting.

Edited by JenC, April 24 2020 - 6:07 PM.

Current Colonies:
1x Camponotus Vicinus (3 Workers)

Single Queens:
3x Camponotus Clarithorax
4x Camponotus Maritimus
5x Camponotus Ca02
7x Camponotus Sansabeanus
1x Myrmecocustus Testaceus
3x Prenolepis Imparis

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 24 2020 - 6:51 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I have the same problem. Try to convince your parents to take you on more camping trips.  I would recommend blacklighting tonight, sadly most areas with Camps around here are closed. You might be able to get one or two on a blacklight though.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users