• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Theory about pheidole hyatti colony collapse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted April 18 2020 - 12:27 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

This coming ant season, my personal goal is to collect a colony large california pheidole. 

Before collecting, I feel that I've done some research on pheidole hyatti and I notice that many colonies would explode and then suddenly collapse. Judging by what I have observed in the wild as well as some research I believe that I may have a hypothesis of why this is the case. If some of my facts are wrong, please let me know as I have never kept a colony of them so there will surely be those who know more than me on here. 

From observing hyatti in the wild, I notice that the ant colonies aren't particularly big and always seem to be in close but not too close proximity to other hyatti colonies. Maybe it could be that I was busy so I haven't really been seriously searching, but for the past 2 years, I've never seen any hyatti flights but I have seen flights of other ants. From this, I suppose that either hyatti flights are rather short and they land just far enough from the nest to not be a threat or they perform colony budding. Both theories can be supported by the fact that hyatti is polygynous so the risk of inbreeding is relatively low and the risk of danger is also relatively low in friendly territory. 

The fact that hyatti is polygynous also makes it that queens are more disposable so they are more fragile than monogyne queens. After reading a paper on Myrmica Tahoensis, it seems that polygyne queens have low lifespans and colonies tend to rely on new queens coming in. Therefore, I believe that pheidole hyatti queens may not live long under natural situations and their explosive captive growth may put a strain on them that shortens their already short lifespan. To combat this, I would try less frequent feedings and introductions of new queens yearly. Again, there isn't much information for me to look at so I'm not too sure how valid this hypothesis is. 

https://www.research...rmica_tahoensis

#2 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 18 2020 - 12:52 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

I believe that solenopsis molesta is like this, and that alates might be able to breed in the nest. Can someone corroborate this?

• 11.11.00 likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#3 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:13 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I believe that solenopsis molesta is like this, and that alates might be able to breed in the nest. Can someone corroborate this?

Some molesta can be monogynous I believe

• Temperateants likes this

#4 Offline Temperateants - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:20 PM

Temperateants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Oh ok. It depends on the strain, correct?

• 11.11.00 likes this

Check out my Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube....xh-HaScAuE5CShQ

Check out my Crematogaster Journal! https://www.formicul...e-2#entry141180

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

As a rule of thumb, Eastern molesta are polygynous, and western rip each other to threads. I have personally tested the western population in California.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline 11.11.00 - Posted April 18 2020 - 1:33 PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

If anyone has tried it. Has anyone put two pheidole hyatti majors/workers from neighboring colonies together and tested for aggression? I don't think I have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users