• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Aphidcola in Ant Tower (small)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Offline blatherdrift - Posted April 15 2020 - 12:09 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I ordered a Lasius Aphidcola queen from Canada Ant Colony with about 6 host workers and quickly set them up in an ant tower. I decided to try filling the tower up with soil instead of the provided sand in order to build it out into a terrarium-type formicarium. It's also a founding chamber, as this is a pretty tiny colony and the queen hasn't hatched any naturalized workers yet, herself. 

The tower itself is filled with a tropical substrate mix of peat moss, fir bark and coconut husk. I added sand and activated carbon to the mix, too and filled the hydration tray with cocohusk. I also attached a nest mate from THA with water, but I think its unnecessary thanks to the tower's hydration system.

So, to start there queen off, I poked a hole with a Q-tip and when I attached the provided test tube, she took a day to move in, finding the hole right away. The ants are a bit small so I haven't much digging, but the tunnel has been widened out enough that the light from the inner cylinder is shining through. Peaks of the queen show she is alive and so I assume well but I haven't taken the red film off to check.

I've added 3-4 living fruit flies and a dead fruit fly to the surface and have kept a mini feeding tower powered with sunburst nectar for the confused workers to consider. A corner of the tower sits on a 15w heating pad that I share with a mini hearth setup for another colony.

I'm trying to introduce some spring tails into the tower but wasn't sure the best way so I just dumped some of the charcoal onto the surface. I suppose I can remove it later.

**edited to fix name error

IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1048.jpeg

Edited by blatherdrift, May 7 2020 - 12:18 PM.

• AntsBC likes this

#2 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 15 2020 - 12:53 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Very interesting. I would suggest adding a few more pupae to try to get the queen more hosts if you can get some. Queens tend to have a better chance of laying eggs when they have 20+ host workers. 

• CheetoLord02 likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 15 2020 - 1:01 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I ordered a Crematogaster queen

You do mean Lasius, right?

• blatherdrift likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline blatherdrift - Posted April 15 2020 - 2:30 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Very interesting. I would suggest adding a few more pupae to try to get the queen more hosts if you can get some. Queens tend to have a better chance of laying eggs when they have 20+ host workers. 

I do not have brood. I ordered this queen from ants colony Canada. :( I hope it works out haha

#5 Offline ForestDragon - Posted April 16 2020 - 8:26 AM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

the charcoal actually looks pretty cool, like shards of rock spiking out from the ground, and you can just find a lasius colony in your backyard and raid them of some pupa, the workers will open them by themselves

#6 Offline blatherdrift - Posted April 28 2020 - 4:27 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Not much has changed! The tower is working nicely, at least. No mold and I have a cleanup crew so I don't have to clean up after my ants which is nice. Otherwise, yeah ... still waiting for eggs... maybe they'll never come ;( I might try and dig up a lasius nest now that the weather is warming up here in Quebec but we'll see.

• AnthonyP163, AntsDakota and jushi like this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 28 2020 - 6:25 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Nice! I have one of these as well, with neoniger hosts.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#8 Offline Canadian anter - Posted April 28 2020 - 7:55 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Hi! Minor correction but it's Canada Ant Colony. As others have said, she might do better with more workers, but I have definitely seen success with this quantity.
  • AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 29 2020 - 4:52 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Hi! Minor correction but it's Canada Ant Colony. As others have said, she might do better with more workers, but I have definitely seen success with this quantity.

Mine has around 20.

#10 Offline blatherdrift - Posted May 7 2020 - 12:41 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

So, 

I think this colony is doomed! my workers are getting too old to be around to care for the queens eggs, if she ever lays any. In an attempt to save them, I went digging through a colony of struggling Lasius Niger (they lived in the ant tower but were relocated by my cat.) and managed to find a worker clinging to an egg. I dropped the worker and egg into the tower, rescued the worker and sealed up my tower. No idea what they are going to do with that egg or if it'll ever help but at least I tried to do something!! 

Anyway, I added a bunch of Fluon to the tower and leave the lid off on water days to help it dry out a bit faster. No mold or anything from the tower and that's great because I haven't had to clean anything. Springtails just eat up the dried bits of fruit fly. 

The tower is nice! I have some Monte Carlo carpet (aquarium plant) managing to grow and slowly spread. The springtails are thriving and the charcoal looks nice too. I think I'll stick with THA for founding formicaria, however. I'll probably pick up a large ant tower and build out a nice terrarium for an established colony. 

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 12:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

So, 

I think this colony is doomed! my workers are getting too old to be around to care for the queens eggs, if she ever lays any. In an attempt to save them, I went digging through a colony of struggling Lasius Niger (they lived in the ant tower but were relocated by my cat.) and managed to find a worker clinging to an egg. I dropped the worker and egg into the tower, rescued the worker and sealed up my tower. No idea what they are going to do with that egg or if it'll ever help but at least I tried to do something!! 

Anyway, I added a bunch of Fluon to the tower and leave the lid off on water days to help it dry out a bit faster. No mold or anything from the tower and that's great because I haven't had to clean anything. Springtails just eat up the dried bits of fruit fly. 

The tower is nice! I have some Monte Carlo carpet (aquarium plant) managing to grow and slowly spread. The springtails are thriving and the charcoal looks nice too. I think I'll stick with THA for founding formicaria, however. I'll probably pick up a large ant tower and build out a nice terrarium for an established colony. 

Different species will not cooperate (excluding parasites). The hosts most likely killed the niger worker.

#12 Offline blatherdrift - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:29 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

So, 

Different species will not cooperate (excluding parasites). The hosts most likely killed the niger worker.

I rescued the worker and returned him to his nest. The larva was left behind. I'm assuming they took it to either raise it or eat it because I can't find it above ground anymore. :) You don't think there's a chance they will raise that brood? 

• AntsDakota likes this

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:31 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
They might raise it, yet when it hatches they might kill the worker.

#14 Offline blatherdrift - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:37 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ahhh well.. So what do you suggest I do with this colony? :( Does it still have a chance?

#15 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 7 2020 - 2:45 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I would recommend getting some Lasius brood for them.

#16 Offline blatherdrift - Posted May 7 2020 - 3:06 PM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

But Lasius Aphidcola ... because the brood of Lasius niger you just said would be killed by the host ants :( 

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 7 2020 - 3:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
If you could find a colony of their host species, that would be a great source of brood.

#18 Offline blatherdrift - Posted May 9 2020 - 4:54 AM

blatherdrift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ahh yeah that seems unlikely. I've never seen Lasius Aphidcola ;( 

#19 Offline Canadian anter - Posted May 9 2020 - 5:03 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Lasius usually accept all other Lasius brood, no matter the species, from my experience.

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 9 2020 - 7:35 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

When I've tried, they killed the workers that emerged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users