• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bronco's Mealworms

feeder insects mealworms darkling beetles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Broncos - Posted April 7 2020 - 10:22 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

I have recently started breeding mealworms and all of them are beetles now. Last week I saw some mating and yesterday, I also saw a female laying eggs. So I expect to see some nymphs, babies, larvae, or whatever their called, hatching.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#2 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 10:23 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

how do they mate/what does it look like? It seems pretty weird to think mealworms can mate and lay eggs in the first place...

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#3 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 10:51 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

how do they mate/what does it look like? It seems pretty weird to think mealworms can mate and lay eggs in the first place...

Mealworms are the larval stage of the mealworm beetle, Tenebrio molitor. It's the fully developed adult beetles that reproduce. If left in the right conditions for too long, the mealworms will pupate and develop into those beetles.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#4 Offline Broncos - Posted May 14 2020 - 3:30 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
There are about 70-100 mealworms of different sizes. The first batch of eggs has become almost fully mature to pupate. The beetles are constantly mating and laying eggs which is good.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: feeder insects, mealworms, darkling beetles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users