• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TheMicroPlanet's Colonies (8-13-20) Oh look, an update.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:13 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

In the two days I had a couple Formica aserva they were actually super chill. As long as the tube wasn't rattled, they really didn't care. It was so strange.

• AntsDakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#82 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:16 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

In the two days I had a couple Formica aserva they were actually super chill. As long as the tube wasn't rattled, they really didn't care. It was so strange.

Sometimes that happens with me; it really depends on the individual queen or species. Their behavioral patterns are somewhat erratic. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#83 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 19 2020 - 5:16 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Your girls may need to hibernate before they raise viable brood. Mine did, at least.

So two questions about that...

One, they need to hibernate in the middle of summer??

Two, how should I go about hibernating them? Just stick them in a fridge on a warm setting?

#84 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 19 2020 - 5:20 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Gave the prenolepis colony a boiled/crushed cricket and some sugar water. They kind of freaked out when I put the dish in their tube, but i'm sure they're fine. Also, the stone slabs and wood planks I originally placed outside to attract queens are now attracting some big juicy crickets, so that's nice.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, July 19 2020 - 5:20 PM.

#85 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2020 - 5:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Your girls may need to hibernate before they raise viable brood. Mine did, at least.

So two questions about that...

One, they need to hibernate in the middle of summer??

Two, how should I go about hibernating them? Just stick them in a fridge on a warm setting?
I would just keep doing what you’re doing, but they may not lay eggs until after hibernating. My queen had some eggs last summer, but ate them before I got her. I hibernated her from Oct to Jan, then she raised nanitics successfully. I hibernate in a mini-fridge.
  • TheMicroPlanet likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#86 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:56 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

I'll give you the bad news first...

Bad News

Unfortunately, our Prenolepis imparis queen has died. I'm pretty sure she was dead/dying a week ago, but now i'm quite sure. First of all, her head is missing. Second, her mesosoma is completely hollowed out, but her gaster is intact. My guess is that the workers turned on her; I had seen some clinging to her wings the week before. Any guess as to what may have caused this?

Good News

We've lost a colony, but also gained a colony! The Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen has her first nanitic  :yahoo: !!!! I'll probably use the Prenolepis colony's old outworld for this one. Also, two of her pupae look kind of dark; does that mean anything?

Additionally, two of the three Formica queens have settled down and shed their wings, so that's good. Not very much to update with regards to the two Tetramorium queens. To be honest, their founding stage has been more than an ample bucket of boredom.

I am a little sad about the Prenolepis colony, but i'm really not as emotional about it as I thought i'd be about it. I see it as kind of a milestone, actually. I've really enjoyed antkeeping so far, and this site and all its members have been insanely helpful! Huge thanks to everyone  :D !

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, July 31 2020 - 3:56 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#87 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:11 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry, man. Nobody has really cracked the code with Prenolepis, probably nobody ever will.
Camponotus pupae turn almost black right before they eclose, so you’ll have more workers imminently.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#88 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 31 2020 - 4:35 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Unfortunately, our Prenolepis imparis queen has died. I'm pretty sure she was dead/dying a week ago, but now i'm quite sure. First of all, her head is missing. Second, her mesosoma is completely hollowed out, but her gaster is intact. My guess is that the workers turned on her; I had seen some clinging to her wings the week before. Any guess as to what may have caused this?

It isn't unheard of for ants of the same colony to turn on each other. However, it seems as if the workers ate the queen for some reason, probably a different glitch than the one that causes workers to kill each other or kill their queen.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#89 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted August 2 2020 - 3:22 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Things just got REALLY hectic around here.

I just disposed of the queenless P. imparis colony (sad), and moved the now 3 worker Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony into the prenos' old outworld. I'm also fixing a meal for them (a cricket and some sugar water). Also, BOTH Tetramorium queens have nanitics (finally), so I need to procure some outworlds for them (i'll probably do that tomorrow). Also, any tips on making a homemade sugar water/honey/honey water dispenser kind of thingy? I forgot exactly what its called.

• AntsDakota likes this

#90 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted August 2 2020 - 3:30 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Oh, and I also found the prenolepis queen's head. It was stuck to the entrance cotton.

#91 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted August 13 2020 - 3:05 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Just fed all 3 colonies; c. pennsylvanicus, and both tetramorium. The camponotus feeding went swimmingly as usual, and the tetras didn't put up too much of a fuss. However, I most certainly do not want to go through that hassle again, so i'm definitely getting the tetras outworlds.

I also had to battle a horrible case of procrastination... I'm glad it's done now, though. Even catching the crickets was a pain in the neck.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, August 13 2020 - 3:07 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

#92 Offline AntsDakota - Posted August 13 2020 - 4:19 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Even catching the crickets was a pain in the neck.

I have my crickets' container in a plastic bag. Whenever I want a cricket, I open the container and let one or two jump out into the sealed bag, afterwards closing their container. Then I crush their heads with my fingers while still in the bags, and then opening the bag and removing them dead. This way crickets aren't hopping around everywhere.

#93 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted September 4 2020 - 3:22 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Hey everyone. I'm sure no one's been worried, but I just wanted to report that I am still here and my ants are doing fine, I just haven't been active on the forum lately. Here are some pretty basic updates:

Camponotus are doing splendid. They have about 8 or so workers, most with gasters full of food, and the queen is very physograstric.

The Tetramorium are chugging along as usual.

The 3 Formica queens seem to have settled down, but I've no evidence of eggs yet.

Also, there were some absolutely ENORMOUS nuptial flights from maybe 2 or so Lasius species a few days ago. Unfortunately, I didn't catch any queens as the ones I have are enough for now...  I don't want to overwhelm myself.

• TennesseeAnts and TechAnt like this

#94 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 4 2020 - 5:41 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Nice!
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users