• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Odontomachus brunneus (updated July 15, 2020)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 11 2020 - 8:21 PM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Odontomachus brunneus

Note: Most recent updates at top of page

Commonly known as the "trap-jaw" these ants can snap their mandibles at speeds of 40 meters per second!  That's one of the fastest movements in the animal world!  I have read that only the larvae consume solid food.  I have been feeding her 3-4 termites every other day.  She snaps them with her "jaws" (first video below) and then uses a protruding mouth part (reminds me of the Alien movie)  to suck up the termite's insides (second video below; you may have to click on the link to see the video in imgur).

oCTvv14.jpg

w82IDop.mp4

5BZG0bO.mp4

July 15, 2020 - Look at how big her larvae are getting!

WpM7TIA.jpg

July 14, 2020 - She is quite the hunter!  For the past few days, I've been putting termites in the outworld and almost as soon as I do, she emerges from her formicarium and hunts them down.  I finally managed to film her in action...watch the video below!  You can see her start to move towards the termite (under the test tube) and then lunge.  If you blink, you will miss it...she is that fast!  She then stabs the termite a few more times, and carries it back to the brood.

ods9rdQ.mp4

July 9, 2020 - I noticed some of her eggs have developed into larvae so I decided to move her into a proper formicarium.  Using clay and pouring grout over my design, I created a fully enclosed formicarium and outworld with a display case.

6wiUTj5.jpg

zX8KX6O.jpg

FbwtClG.jpg

I put the open test tube into the formicarium and she quickly began to explore.  Within a few hours, she had transferred her eggs and larvae to a low level chamber.  Her larvae are super spikey and very active.  They can even move a few millimeters on their own.

MQRSran.jpg

gVtgvLM.jpg

yzY9uJq.jpg

June 24, 2020 - I have been feeding her termites, but today I tried a fruit fly.  She never even tried to catch it.  Guess she's a picky eater  ;)

June 19, 2020 - Five eggs as of this morning!  She frequently uses her mandibles to carry the pile around.  When she feeds, she moves the eggs away from the live termites.

June 12, 2020 - She has laid two eggs!

June 8, 2020 - I collected her from a parking lot with a nearby wooded area and set her up in a test tube.  I fed gave her live termites and a cricket leg...she rapidly attacked and consumed the termites.  I don't think she ever touched the cricket leg.

Sources:

Entomology Today

Edited by RelientUKDr, July 18 2020 - 5:13 AM.

• AntsDakota and DDD101DDD like this

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 12 2020 - 6:33 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've always heard Odontomachus were hard to keep. Looks like you're doing a great job!  (y)

• RelientUKDr likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 12 2020 - 6:44 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

The formicarium looks good!

• RelientUKDr likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline Superant33 - Posted July 12 2020 - 10:32 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The formicarium is at an excessive size for a lone queen. Do you have substrate? The larvae will fail to form cocoons without it. No substrate = failed colony. Continue to feed termites and fruit flies. Your food choices are optimal. Add springtails. Springtails help keep mold down and smaller Odontomachus feed on them. Out of all the Odontomachus found in the USA, you have what is probably the easiest species to start (Odontomachus can be difficult). Standard test tube setups with substrate work very well for the species you have.

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 12 2020 - 1:45 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They can’t make cocoons with the sand in the sand coating the chambers?

#6 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 12 2020 - 3:23 PM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

The formicarium is at an excessive size for a lone queen. Do you have substrate? The larvae will fail to form cocoons without it. No substrate = failed colony. Continue to feed termites and fruit flies. Your food choices are optimal. Add springtails. Springtails help keep mold down and smaller Odontomachus feed on them. Out of all the Odontomachus found in the USA, you have what is probably the easiest species to start (Odontomachus can be difficult). Standard test tube setups with substrate work very well for the species you have.

The tunnels have sand in them...will that work?  And as for the size, she is all over the out world hunting...I guess we'll see how it works out ;)

#7 Offline Roy3 - Posted July 12 2020 - 4:29 PM

Roy3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#8 Offline Superant33 - Posted July 13 2020 - 11:07 AM

Superant33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Sand will work. However, a mix of perlite, coconut fiber, and sand would be optimal. If you can easily remove the queen and brood, you should place her in a test tube. Founding queens in a full sized formicarium is no bueno. It is easier to control details in a tube.

#9 Offline RelientUKDr - Posted July 18 2020 - 5:12 AM

RelientUKDr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

See the July 15 update in the main post

Edited by RelientUKDr, July 18 2020 - 5:14 AM.

#10 Offline TechAnt - Posted September 1 2020 - 7:48 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Update?
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users