• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TheMicroPlanet's Colonies (8-13-20) Oh look, an update.

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 11 2020 - 3:58 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Just checked on her. The egg pile looks larger; not sure if she's layed more or if the eggs have grown (maybe both). I know I said pictures were coming asap last week, but THIS week they'll be here.... i hope...

Eggs don’t grow......... did you mean hatch?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#42 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 11 2020 - 4:27 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Yes... we'll say I meant that... suuuuuure I did... yep, undoubtedly.

• TennesseeAnts, AntsDakota and Ants_Dakota like this

#43 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 16 2020 - 11:26 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Her brood pile is noticeably larger. I can also see what looks like really tiny larvae! Also, for once, I managed to get a half decent picture of her without the red film. So far, so good! You can see the larvae-looking blobs to the right of her wings, and it looks as though there are more. You can't tell in this picture, but she appears to be quite physogastric.

6Pz_zNYhsW-t-ivY7A7y-EQJ-skdOOlsCYJjvzQs

• ANTdrew, AntsDakota and Amazant like this

#44 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 16 2020 - 11:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Looks like larvae to me. :)

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#45 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 23 2020 - 8:07 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

She's lived to see another week. Her brood pile is noticably bigger, but her water supply is getting low. Might have to move her into a new test tube soon. Pictures should be coming soon.

• AntsDakota likes this

#46 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 29 2020 - 10:56 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Bad News

Queen #2 (not IDed yet) died. Although, I did get some nice pictures of her afterwards...

qjA0KhPhjMxXn_SjOS3kR51H7jFZ_xOFq9Q4y5BE

jUDwhE4oohZ3K8RL69QfPE9GDVXBRSb_OEsDv-XP

She's about 5 mm long, orangeish legs, brown-black body. In all honesty, i'm not 100% sure she's even a queen...

Good News

Since queen #2 died, I now have a new test tube to give my P. imparis!

More Good News

My P. Imparis doesn't need a new test tube! I greatly overestimated the time it would take for her water supply to run dry.

EVEN MORE GOOD NEWS

Her brood pile is growing quite impressive. I could definitely make out some larvae, and there may even be some nanitic pupae! This is the best picture I could get of her...

B2aLyAn71Dmw5VFabv1PJpZ2Vkr9czCHjiCuxPCm

All in all, she's doing incredibly well. I'll be working on preparations for her nanitics soon; provided all goes well, that is.

Distressing News

Queen #3, which i'm pretty sure is actually C. pennsylvanicus, is doing.... ok? I really don't know about her. She's been tearing at the cotton to her water reservior, and there's little cotton bits all over the floor. On the flip side, the metal cap seems to be very effective at keeping her in. I almost freaked out at first because I couldn't see her; turns out she was hiding at the entrance inside the metal cap. I don't have very high hopes for her.

Not very interesting news

I also changed the name of the journal; it just wouldn't make sense to make a separate one when I only have 2 queens.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, May 29 2020 - 11:00 AM.

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#47 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted May 29 2020 - 12:43 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

your "queen #2" is a Lasius social parasite queen. 

• TheMicroPlanet likes this

#48 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted May 29 2020 - 2:19 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

your "queen #2" is a Lasius social parasite queen. 

Well that explains a lot

#49 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 29 2020 - 4:07 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Looks like umbratus species group from the photo.

#50 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:34 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Wasn't able to get an update today; it'll be here tomorrow. I can make some predictions though: at best, the Prenolepis queen's pupae have grown coniderably, and the Camponotus queen is dead (i was never optimistic about her). At worst, both queens will be dead. 

#51 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 5 2020 - 5:56 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Wasn't able to get an update today; it'll be here tomorrow. I can make some predictions though: at best, the Prenolepis queen's pupae have grown coniderably, and the Camponotus queen is dead (i was never optimistic about her). At worst, both queens will be dead.

Camponotus, whether mated or not, have a tendancy to tear at the cotton, although the unmated ones do it more often.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#52 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:38 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

GREAT news for this update! My predictions for this week about my Camponotus queen were WAY off, and I'm happy they were!

P. imparis

No drastic changes this update. She's still doing perfectly fine, and her brood pile looks slightly larger.

7e0M9dA_D0LdaeKGSsjEfaME5vIF0wThuqvEUP5u

Camponotus (now i'm 100% sure it's pennsylvanicus)

I'm stunned, dumbfounded, amazed, surprised, and absolutely flabbergasted.

She's alive!

She's cleaned up her test tube! All the bits of cotton she left lying around are now completely gone!

She has eggs!

All her eggs are in a neat little pile! I often hear this could be a sign that she's able to produce workers.

The metal cap seems to be working. She also isn't cowering under it anymore. She lives near the water reservior now.

Here's the best picture I managed to get...

zWbujgDJ9bzBe7h4wPwIEjIConDFGArqXuuKxRKq

You can see her eggs directly to the left of her. They're the little tan-colored pile.

I'm amazed at both of these queen's development so far. Let's hope they stick around!

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, June 6 2020 - 3:39 PM.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#53 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent! I’m really happy for you. Seems like you’re out of the woods now. You can check Camponotus without them stressing; they’re super chill.

Edited by ANTdrew, June 6 2020 - 3:49 PM.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#54 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 6 2020 - 3:50 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

You can check Camponotus without them stressing; they’re super chill.

I guess you're right, because I once pulled up a small log and there was a C. pennsylvanicus queen under it, and she didn't move a muscle. 

#55 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 13 2020 - 12:11 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

This week's update isn't as eventful as the last one, but I did manage to get some better pictures!

P. imparis

Her brood pile is slightly larger, but other than that, nothing's really changed.

vVsEKRess67hNm-7ynr4RIIdMdknPJfyGNds1eFv

Here's her brood pile up close... do you guys see anything interesting?pqCzXUMI0-Y3THwBEeJ9fmpQ_WQHfSUOMYhmkGci

C. pennsylvanicus

Her brood pile has practically doubled since last week. Other than that, she's doing pretty much the same.

xpm6FhOSADGlOee3n57DxzAntPyNetO5EIkOs3ki

I also came across a bunch of new test tubes, which is always good.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, June 13 2020 - 12:13 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#56 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 19 2020 - 7:35 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Caught two Tetramorium queens today! I'll include their life history on this journal as well.

• ANTdrew likes this

#57 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 19 2020 - 7:43 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I still haven't caught any tetras yet.  :(

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#58 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 28 2020 - 2:51 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Wow, looks like I missed the last two updates... but fear not! I still checked on my ants.

Missed Week 1 - Everyone's still going strong. No brood from the Tetramorium yet.

Missed Week 2 - NANITICS!!!!!! My P. imparis queen officially has nanitics, plus lots of brood (including more pupae!). I gave the colony (I can call it a colony now  :yahoo: ) some peanut butter mixed with honey, which I hope will hold them over until I can get more preferable food (speaking of which, any thoughts on what I can feed them?). I'm not going to try feeding them through the test tube (though I did do that with the peanut butter), so i'm going to procure a small outworld for them.

In other news, at least one of the Tetras has eggs in a little pile. The Camponotus's brood pile is growing as well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any good pictures (insufficient lighting and whatnot).

I'll be open to any suggestions you guys have to offer!

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, June 28 2020 - 2:55 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#59 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 28 2020 - 2:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dubia roaches, crickets, mealworms, and fruit flies are good feeders. Fruit flies are good for small colonies.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#60 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted June 28 2020 - 2:59 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Was it ok to feed them peanut butter/honey? I wasn't entirely sure about it, but it's all I could come up with at the time (it was pretty late too).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users