• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 3:32 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Introduction

Welcome to my new journal! In case you missed out, all my previous colonies were wiped out by a fungal infection within the genus Aspergillus. Now I am starting over fresh. Enjoy!

Also, if you wish to read my previous journal and the demise of my previous colonies, go here.

Edited by AntsDakota, June 12 2020 - 8:35 AM.

• Thunder_Birds likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#2 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 3:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
UPDATE #0001
Friday, April 3rd, 2020

NEW!!!
Prenolepis imparis

So unfortunately, I missed these gals' flights. I was looking in the wrong places, wrong parks. I did get to see males, though. Fortunately for me, Ants4Fun sold me a few of the queens he captured. I currently have four, and am temporarily caring for Ants_Dakota's (he gave him one as well) until COVID clears up, and I can see him in person. So, here they are:

I moved them out of their original test tube, since it looked pretty wet, and could possibly flood. Also, the visibility was terrible.
XPPu39I.jpg

5MbAkmS.jpg

Ants_Dakota's queen is in her original test tube, showing the poor quality:

NdrmQ7Z.jpg

neCY0ii.jpg

Edited by AntsDakota, April 5 2020 - 7:50 AM.

• Ants4fun, FeedTheAnts, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 2 others like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#3 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:42 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

congrats on the queens

• AntsDakota likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 3 2020 - 4:56 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Thanks! This is what I was talking about earlier.
  • TennesseeAnts and Da_NewAntOnTheBlock like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2020 - 3:07 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Godspeed!
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:03 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Yeah, the test tubes were outside a bit. Temperature difference must have caused it to flood. Hope they work out well for you! Just a tip, temperature changes are critical with this species. They go through a mini brumation during summer months. So, they need slowly increasing temperature. I might be keeping mine in my garage. It’s about 60 in there now, and it should rise in temp with summer, so they get a more accurate cycle.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#7 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 5:27 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
How large of groups are you keeping them in? Or are they all separate?

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 7:46 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Quick question- are these ants really as sensitive as I’ve heard? They don’t seem that much more jumpy than Lasius, and they did fine when this guy checked them once a week: https://www.ohioants...mparis-journal/

#9 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 9:25 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
I may just experiment. I’ll see what they’re up to next week.

#10 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:34 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Hope they survive! And hope you get a booming colony!

• AntsDakota and Thunder_Birds like this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#11 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:36 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
It’ll be a long road. Most colonies take at least two years to exceed fifty workers. A thirty worker year old colony is considered large.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#12 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted April 4 2020 - 11:57 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

wow. well, keep grinding it out.

• AntsDakota likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#13 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 4 2020 - 3:30 PM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I’m keeping them in groups of 4 with a few singles. Testing out different founding setups.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#14 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 5 2020 - 5:07 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Yeah, the test tubes were outside a bit. Temperature difference must have caused it to flood. Hope they work out well for you! Just a tip, temperature changes are critical with this species. They go through a mini brumation during summer months. So, they need slowly increasing temperature. I might be keeping mine in my garage. It’s about 60 in there now, and it should rise in temp with summer, so they get a more accurate cycle.

So estivation requires warmer temperatures, then?

#15 Offline Ants4fun - Posted April 5 2020 - 6:48 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Yeah, they take a break during summer, and that has to be induced, just like winter hibernation.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#16 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 5 2020 - 7:41 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Do you think a heating mat would work?

#17 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:47 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

UPDATE #0002

Tuesday, April 7th, 2020

Prenolepis imparis

I found another one of these, and put her with the four queens I received from Ants4Fun. She must have cleaned her gaster at least a half dozen times on the way home! I also was using my macro lens wrongly, and have now figured out how to use it correctly, improving the photo quality to the enth degree.

She's one of the ones without wings:

lbBVBex.jpg

ujFyus7.jpg

XKiWQ17.jpg

0tt8nvj.jpg

Here's Ants_Dakota's queen:

i27VTGI.jpg

The Imgur link: Polygyne in the ant Prenolepis imparis (False Honeypot Ant) (Winter Ant)y - Album on Imgur

• Becky likes this

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 7 2020 - 1:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Best of luck! I’ll be following.
  • AntsDakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#19 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted April 7 2020 - 2:17 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

I found an established colony of Tetras, so I may get into keeping those gals soon...I'll keep an eye on this journal as well, glad you could get over the golden death period and hoist yourself into the golden period (literally) of ant keeping for you :)

• ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#20 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 7 2020 - 2:34 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I found an established colony of Tetras, so I may get into keeping those gals soon...I'll keep an eye on this journal as well, glad you could get over the golden death period and hoist yourself into the golden period (literally) of ant keeping for you :)

I also ordered more Pogonomyrmex.
  • Da_NewAntOnTheBlock likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex, pogonomyrmex occidentalis, aphaenogaster, lasius, lasius aphidicola, parasitic lasius, formica, formica subsericea, myrmica, aphaenogaster rudis, camponotus pennsylvanicus, camponotus vicinus, camponotus modoc, camponotus novaeboracensis, formica incerta, tapinoma sessile, tapinoma, camponotus, aphaenogaster tennesseensis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users