• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Question about EasterN termites

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted August 3 2020 - 5:47 PM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Hey guys,
I’ve never kept termites in my entire life, and I was thinking about trying it. After doing some research, I believe what is most common around me is the Easter subterranean termite. If I built something like the termitat, would they live in that or do they NEED soil to nest in?

Thanks

In Jesus,
Jonny

Edited by Jonny8040, August 3 2020 - 5:48 PM.

In Jesus,
Jonny

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 3 2020 - 7:47 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hey guys,
I’ve never kept termites in my entire life, and I was thinking about trying it. After doing some research, I believe what is most common around me is the Easter subterranean termite. If I built something like the termitat, would they live in that or do they NEED soil to nest in?

Thanks

In Jesus,
Jonny

Subterranean termites are subterranean for a reason. They won't really nest in wood. You can raise them in a test tube, though. Just stuff it with dirt and rotten wood/plant material.

• TestSubjectOne likes this

#3 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 4 2020 - 5:06 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

I mostly find them under rocks in the woods.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2020 - 5:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
One of my successful pairs just kicked the bucket. These are a lot harder than you’d expect. Nare’s guide in the Termite Keeping section covers everything you need to know.
In VA, I find hundreds of alates flying around Memorial Day. They fly around 12:00pm.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted August 4 2020 - 5:37 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
Thank you! If I get workers and nymphs will this species turn into reproductive adults? I know some species will and I didn’t know if they would or not
In Jesus,
Jonny

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2020 - 5:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, they will, but getting a king and queen is a better route, according to Nare. He’s the expert on these, but he hasn’t been active in a while, sadly.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted August 4 2020 - 5:55 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Yes, they will, but getting a king and queen is a better route, according to Nare. He’s the expert on these, but he hasn’t been active in a while, sadly.

So it’s possible to have a colony start from reproductive workers? Sorry to keep asking questions but I’ve never kept them before haha. Will the workers become king and queen?
In Jesus,
Jonny

#8 Offline Jonny8040 - Posted August 4 2020 - 5:59 AM

Jonny8040

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationVirginia
And could they managed to chew through a clear plastic box?
In Jesus,
Jonny

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2020 - 6:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
https://www.formicul...es/#entry150455
Nare hasn’t had much luck starting reproductives from worker groups, so I doubt I would either.

#10 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 4 2020 - 7:32 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

And could they managed to chew through a clear plastic box?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't.

#11 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 4 2020 - 7:34 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So it’s possible to have a colony start from reproductive workers? Sorry to keep asking questions but I’ve never kept them before haha. Will the workers become king and queen?

It is possible, but It's not a very predictable way to keep termites. I've never had any luck, even if I include unmated reproductives that were previously workers in the group.

#12 Offline VenomousBeast - Posted August 4 2020 - 11:23 AM

VenomousBeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationButler, Butler County, Pennsylvania
I’ve kept Reticulitermes flavipes no problem with just workers and nymphs! (The nymphs are what you want cause the workers tend to not morph much afterwards and don’t tend to become reproductives but the nymphs do! It just takes 6ish months)
  • Antkid12 likes this

Keeps:

1:Pogonomymex occidentalis

4: Tetramorium immigrans

2 Reticulitermes flavipes

#13 Offline LC3 - Posted August 17 2020 - 8:44 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
They aren’t dependent on soil. Really you’ll want to pay attention to the number collected, humidity + temperature and the type of wood used. Ideally if starting from a colony chunk you’ll want at least 100 workers, preferably a soldier and some nymphs; the more the merrier. Humidity and temp wise they should be kept at high humidity and around room temp (20-25C). Wood preference is more of trial and error but do not use sound wood, use rotten wood instead.

Edited by LC3, August 17 2020 - 8:45 PM.

• VenomousBeast likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users