• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ANTdrew's Lasius Species Journal

claviger parasites lasius

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 24 2020 - 10:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Beginning 3-24-2020

I have a lot of time on my hands all of sudden and, thankfully, several new colonies. Among these are my first Lasius species colonies, so I will be starting up this journal to document their progress. For whatever reason, Lasius ants interest me a lot even though they are quite common. I've had a heck of a time finding non-parasitic Lasius, though, but that all changed last October. Whilst at a Halloween event at a local university with my kids, I finally found a Lasius neoniger queen scuttling about on the ground. As I had no collection containers on hand, I had to think quick and eat a box of Nerds candy to put her in. I've been calling her Nerdbox Neoniger ever since.

I hibernated her from late October until late January. Then I put her test tube in a heated box along with several other new queens I was founding. The box was kept in the 80s in complete darkness. This particular queen did nothing for several weeks, so I was worried she may be a dud. She did finally lay a good clump of eggs, though, which she is tending now, so I am optimistic to finally have a non-parasitic Lasius colony! I'll either put her in a mini-hearth or one of Dspdrew's dirt shacks once she gets enough workers.

Parasites! Lasius claviger

I've found maybe 50-60 of these parasitic queens this year - even one on January 1st! They are hands down the most common queens of all in my area. I finally decided to try my hand at founding two of them following the techniques in the Much Ado guide on the forum.

After hibernating the queens, I managed to find about 15 host Lasius claviger workers under a rotten stump last week. I chilled these workers in my fridge and have been adding them to the queens' tubes two at a time. All went fine at first, but one of the queens got aggressive and killed one of the workers. I decided to just give up on that one and put her back in my yard.

A second queen, however, has been very peaceful with the hosts. Downright lovey-dovey. I've slowly continued adding new workers, and she currently has 11 in there with no signs of aggression. I'll add the last three tomorrow and start waiting for eggs. I've given them drops of nectar and a mealworm piece in their tube. I love the look of the L. claviger workers!

Edited by ANTdrew, March 24 2020 - 10:40 AM.

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 3 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#2 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted March 24 2020 - 10:46 AM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Looks wonderful! The most common Lasius parasite in my area seems to be L. Aphicola, which looks like the dangerous edgy cousin of L. Americanus, but with hints of red and orange...

• ANTdrew likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#3 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted March 24 2020 - 10:57 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

It is beautiful. I have always wished I could get a colony like that. This year...

• ANTdrew likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#4 Offline AntsDakota - Posted March 24 2020 - 3:46 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Look around for the next couple months. Dealates should be waking up and beginning to search for host colonies.
  • ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#5 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted April 14 2020 - 7:51 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

How is the parasitic colony doing?

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 15 2020 - 2:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

They're just huddled in the back of the tube doing nothing, basically. I give them a few drops of Sunburst every few days and a piece of mealworm. No change really since my last post.

Same goes for my L. neoniger. I've never seen such a tiny ant take so long during the egg stage. Good grief.

• AnthonyP163, AntsDakota, Da_NewAntOnTheBlock and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2020 - 6:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-27-2020

Nothing to report with these ants, really. The parasitic queen still hasn't laid any eggs and is just huddled up in the back of the tube with her hosts. She still has her wings, so I wonder if she's even mated?

My neoniger queen is still tending her large brood pile. Her eggs were laid in early March, so it's been quite a long time for them to develop even though her incubator box is in the upper 80s. I'll just have to keep waiting on her, I guess.

• AntsDakota likes this

#8 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 26 2020 - 7:10 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Social parasites often wait a couple weeks before laying.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-12-2020

Well, my career as a Lasius keeper isn't off to a very good start. Neither my L. claviger, nor my L. neoniger queen has made any progress since last update. On advice from NickAnter, I took my Nerdbox neoniger off heat yesterday. She was being kept in the same plastic box incubator I raise all my queens in, but maybe it was too hot? I guess a founding chamber deep in the soil would rarely reach the upper 80s, so maybe there is some sense to that. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I moved my parasite queen and her hosts to a new tube today. The old one had become very moldy. She still hasn't laid any eggs, and one of her hosts died at some point. If she doesn't lay eggs pretty soon, I'm going to give up on this project. I never really had any interest in raising "tricky" ants. The instant gratification of easy ants is more my style.

#10 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 6:56 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

Perhaps you could find more hosts for the parasitic queen?

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 12 2020 - 7:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I don't think it's worth the effort at this point. I'm doubtful she's mated.

#12 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 12 2020 - 8:24 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

None of my claviger queens have laid either. I wonder if it is something wrong we're doing?

• ANTdrew likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#13 Offline AntsDakota - Posted May 12 2020 - 9:06 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

It seems that Lasius claviger isn't quite as hardy as some other common parasites.

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 26 2021 - 7:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 1-26-2021

I am reactivating this journal because I started up a lovely new Lasius neoniger queen this morning. I found this queen on 9/28/2020 at the same location where I usualy find all my Crematogaster queens. I have been hibernating her in my refrigerator since mid-October and just started heating her today. After a peaceful transfer of test tubes, I fed her a drop of Sunburst nectar and placed her in my incubator box along with the three Crematogaster queens I am starting up. I put some sandy clay substrate in her tube to help her as well. I really love her root beer color and fat gASSter. I hope to have more luck this time around!

• AnthonyP163 and DDD101DDD like this

#15 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted January 26 2021 - 7:30 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia

:*( this makes me quite sad that my queen never woke up

We don’t talk about that

#16 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 26 2021 - 7:30 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Well, good luck!

• ANTdrew likes this

#17 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 26 2021 - 8:09 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Good luck! I find that queens that are so bloated in the early stages tend to do very well.

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#18 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted January 26 2021 - 10:28 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
They are my favorite looking queens for sure.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#19 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 26 2021 - 10:55 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Can't wait until I can take mine out of hibernation.

• ANTdrew likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#20 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 8 2021 - 7:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 2-8-2021

Good news, my friends! My Lasius neoniger queen has laid a good pile of eggs! She is also getting pleasantly thiccc! I'm staying cautiously optimistic for a better Lasius year. I still love the look of these queens. They basically seem like the archetypal, perfect queen image to me.

IMG 9067

Edited by ANTdrew, February 8 2021 - 7:55 AM.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users